Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Deleting devices from netgear AC1900 cable modem voice router

aliciadd
Follower

Deleting devices from netgear AC1900 cable modem voice router

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to delete devices from my modem? I can see how to block devices, but not delete them. Help?
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

You'd need to change your ssid or password and then not give them the new info. 

If they have your ssid/password, they can still connect to the router. By blocking them, you're just not letting them use it. 

So if you don't want them connecting at all, change the password. 

Message 2 of 6
aliciad
Aspirant

Thanks, but that doesn't solve my current problem. Comcast says there is a limit on how many devices I can have attached to my network and I need to delete some to improve service speed. This sounds like BS -- as god knows that in pre-covid times - I had a ton of people in and out of my house and often gave friends my wifi password -- but that's what the guy told me.  And on the netgear admin page, I can see that I can block devices, but not delete them -- and that's what I"m trying to do. Just don't see any way to do it. 

Any more ideas?   

Message 3 of 6

@aliciad wrote:

Thanks, but that doesn't solve my current problem. Comcast says there is a limit on how many devices I can have attached to my network and I need to delete some to improve service speed. This sounds like BS -- as god knows that in pre-covid times - I had a ton of people in and out of my house and often gave friends my wifi password -- but that's what the guy told me.  And on the netgear admin page, I can see that I can block devices, but not delete them -- and that's what I"m trying to do. Just don't see any way to do it. 

My guess is that your "BS" analysis is correct. The usual response at the ISP end is "blame the customer's network".

Back to the problem, can you say a b it more about what you are trying to achieve? This bit is not clear to me:

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to delete devices from my modem?

What underlying symptoms are you really trying to fix? Why are you trying to delete devices?

What has the ISP told you to "remove"? Where are you looking to delete devices?

On the basis of where you posted your message, I assume that you are using the Nighthawk App. That may not be the best place to look for detailed control of your router. Unfortunately, your message isn't at all clear as to what Netgear hardware you are using.

The subject says "netgear AC1900 cable modem voice router", but that isn't a model number.

AC1900 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Your footer says CM2000, but that isn't a "cable modem voice router". So we can't point you at the right section in this community.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

Message 4 of 6
aliciad
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me.

The problem is that - after a year with no problems -- my wifi connection is suddenly unstable and slow.  Video calls are dropping often and sometimes the whole connection goes away. 

The ISP told me that per my Comcast package, I could connect 8 devices to my modem at a time and expect good performance.  When we went to the netgear app to see how  many devices I had connected, there were 13. And devices could only be blocked or allowed, not deleted.  The guy convinced me that the problem was my modem, not the Comcast connection - but now I'm still having the same problem with their modem. So, might was well return their rental unit and try my own again - but now I still need Comcast to figure out what the issues is on their end. Because my home office is upstairs and the modem is downstairs - so I can't make a hard ethernet connection. I need the wifi to work. Any ideas?

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 6

@aliciad wrote:

The ISP told me that per my Comcast package, I could connect 8 devices to my modem at a time and expect good performance. 

That doesn't make much sense. It has nothing to do with what they support.

Maybe they are just trying to tell you not to put too much strain on your connection. While that is true, deleting devices isn't the way to go about it.

First check what these devices are. Then see if it helps to turn them off, especially when you are on video calls.

What speed are you paying for for the Internet? No amount of messing around will help if your service is slow.

@aliciad wrote:

Because my home office is upstairs and the modem is downstairs - so I can't make a hard ethernet connection. I need the wifi to work. Any ideas?

Anything that depends on wifi is open to interference, both internal and from the neighbours. Maybe you are just trying to get too much traffic through your wifi connection.

In your shoes my first move would be to see if Powerline Ethernet helps. This established a wired Ethernet connection over your mains circuit. This removes wifi from the picture. You just plug your PC into the Powerline network.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7