Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does anyone have a working CAX30 with firmware V1.4.11.2

phdgolf
Aspirant

Does anyone have a working CAX30 with firmware V1.4.11.2

Good day,

I recently purchased a CAX30 from Amazon and had it provisioned by Comcast.  I was not using the Nighthawk app but an ethernet connected Windows 11 PC.  I had downloaded the relevant documentation and firmware after registering the device on Netgear.  Connecting to the router and reseting the password went well and I checked the current firmware and allowed the app to downioad and install the new version.  The update bar proceeded to about 75% and then stopped.  After 1 hour I called Netgear support.  They had me log in on another browser window and verify the firmware version, which was the newer one.  So we closed the previous update window.

I was able to attach my network HP printer and Ooma Telo Air2 and the wireless 2.4 and 5Ghz both were working.  At this point, I went in and attempted to change the default SSID and default password.  After applying the new settings the update appeared to work.  However, the home screen Wi-Fi window was scrolling blank SSID's and a 3 character password - the password was 9 characters with at least 1 uppercase, 1 number, and 1 special character.  The password that was showing had truncated the first 6 characters.  Subsequent resets/reboots and attempts to change SSID's/password with Netgear support on the phone never succeeded.  Also, the WI-Fi switch on the front apparently stopped functioning.  Netgear's solution was to return the modem as defective hardware and purchase another one. I believe Netgear knows this is a firmware problem and is not attempting to fix it.

Previously I was using a CM1150 cable modem and a R6260 Wi-Fi router, so my temporary solution was to shutdown the CAX30 Wi-Fi and connect the R6260.  This is working but at the slower speeds of the R6260.  I have ordered another CAX30 this time from Costco but don't want to end up having the same problems and having to return it again.

Would really appreciate it if anyone out there has had these problems and has successfully navigated them.  Or other device choices that would be better and avoid these problems.  Thanks.

Best wishes

Duane

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Does anyone have a working CAX30 with firmware V1.4.11.2

I've seen a few posts about that firmware version and changing firmware causes issues when changing the ssid. 

You could try downgrading the firmware a version to see if that lets you change the ssid. Or leave it with the default ssid for the time being. I know that netgear's been made aware of the issue but have zero idea if a fix is in the works. 

Message 2 of 5
phdgolf
Aspirant

Not sure if going back to V1.4.10.10 would be worth it.  My guess is that Netgear didn't test either version for this issue.  Might consider leaving the default SSID but leaving the default password is a non-starter.  It's also odd that you can change the guest network SSID and password without problems - but that won't do any good without the ability to enable only the guest AP.

Current setup:  Comcast Xfinity 1200Mbps+. CAX30 (Replaced CM1150V) -> R6260 (Wi-Fi AP + Guest Network), WPA2. HP Color Printer/Scanner and Ooma TeloAir2 connected to CAX30.  Panasonic and LG Smart TV's connected to R6260.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be worth trying the downgrade to see while we wait for NG to fix this. 

Might try a simple SSID name. 

You don't have to leave the PW as default. Change it to something else. I recommend keeping the PW fairly simple for now, 8 characters with maybe a number or two. I've been using same lower case all alpha characters for my wifi for past 15 years. No issues here.

Or wait for the fix. No idea when that will get out though.  

Message 4 of 5
phdgolf
Aspirant

Here is how we stand now. 

1. The SSID and network passwords have been successfully changed from their defaults.  NOTE THAT THE NETWORK PASSWORD MAY NOT CONTAIN ANY SPECIAL CHARACTERS AND MUST BE A MINIMUM OF 8 CHARACTERS.

2. Guest network is enabled and default SSID and network password have been changed.  Again, no special characters in the network password.

3. WPA-2 Security is set for both networks.  Access Control is Off.  2.4Ghz is set to channel 9 to minimize congestion with other networks.  5Ghz is currently set at 149 + 153(P) + 157 + 161.  There are 2 other networks using the same channels but they are lower power.

4.  Cable firmware is V1.04.10.  Router firmware is V2.1.3.10 (the recent hot fix).

The last 3 days the 5Ghz connection has dropped at least once a day and does not automatically reconnect.  I have switched over our computers to the 2.4Ghz connection to see if it lasts longer.

Speed has remained not that great with 2.4Ghz getting 90Mbps down / 35Mbps up and 5Ghz getting 300Mbps down / 42Mbps up.  Comcast will be getting a call.

Thanks for everyone's help and also to Netgear support who finally came through.

Best wishes,

Duane

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7