Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drops internet connection if left for an hour

mjphillips
Aspirant

Drops internet connection if left for an hour

Hi, we're using a refurbed C7000-200NAB modem/router combo. (This was a replacement for an earlier C7000 that was having the same problem. I can't even find a phone number for Netgear support anymore, and they refused to give me a warranty or any time frame for free support on this replacement... so I'm hoping someone here can help please 🙂

The problem is, if the computer is left on without being used for more than a half hour or so, the internet connection drops, and I have to restart the computer to get it back. This is not a major problem, but is time consuming and kindof annoying (especially since this refurb was sent to correct the same problem).

For starters, we are not using any wifi- just an ethernet connection. Have checked the cables, contacted the cable company, done several system resets, etc. But the problem recurs. Closing and reopening the browser & mail programs doesn't help, only restarting the computer.  All computers on this system are macs, btw. 

I am the 'more' computer savvy person in our household, but still not well versed in router-ese. I wasn't able to follow the directions on other posts re dropped internet connection. So if you have any ideas for us, it will help a lot if you can oversimplify and spell things out please 🙂

Thanks very much,

MJ

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Drops internet connection if left for an hour

Does this happen with a different wired PC or laptop? 

Happen with any wifi devices connected as well? 

Message 2 of 7
mjphillips
Aspirant

Thanks Furry...

It seems to happen with one other computer that's left on sometimes. There are no wireless devices on the network. Hope this helps... tx

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check with the PCs Mfr for help, support and information regarding this. 

Message 4 of 7
mjphillips
Aspirant

Thanks again. I did check with them when it was happening with the original router, but I guess I have some more leverage now. (Apple's "genius" pool seems to have become a bit diluted 😞

Wish me luck! and thank you for the speedy responses!

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If samething with this one PC is happening on two different modems/routers, then the problem will be with this one PC. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Easy check. Buy a usb->ethernet adapter or a wifi card and connect the computer that route. See if it stays connected. It might not if its an issue with the computers software but if its a driver/ethernet card issue, it could fix it. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series