Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Extract Error Log Data from CM1000

DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Extract Error Log Data from CM1000

Is there a public API for extracting the error log and channel status information from the CM1000? The logging feature doesn't seem to keep much history, so I'm currently using a Microsoft Power Automate flow to launch a browser and scrape the data from the HTML table from http://192.168.100.1/EventLog.asp every 6 hours and populate a database table with it for persistence.

 

I've been going back and forth with Comcast on resolution for intermittent internet connection disruptions and keeping a log of modem-reported issues seems to be prudent.

 

I'm looking for a more robust and efficient mechanism for capturing this data, since the current solution is neither.

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extract Error Log Data from CM1000

Not for end users. 

 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

 

is this a valid address on the modem? 

Spectrum Analyzer: 192.168.100.1:8080

 

Only other way to narrow that down would be to rent a modem from them for a month to see if there modems do the same thing. If so, then the ISP would be on the hook to get there problems fixed. 

Message 2 of 4
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Re: Extract Error Log Data from CM1000


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not for end users. 

That's a shame. It's my modem and I should be able to monitor it.

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

 

I appreciate the apparent offer to diagnose, but this is a recurring issue with Comcast and they've been fairly responsive in helping to rectify it. My interest right now is exclusively in logging the event data persistently, which the modem itself does not appear to do.

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

is this a valid address on the modem? 

Spectrum Analyzer: 192.168.100.1:8080

 

No. Although it appears to be listening on 8080, It only responds on port 80.

 

$ nmap 192.168.100.1
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-04-22 10:39 EDT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.100.1
Host is up (0.026s latency).
Not shown: 998 closed ports
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
80/tcp   open     http
8080/tcp filtered http-proxy

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Only other way to narrow that down would be to rent a modem from them for a month to see if there modems do the same thing. If so, then the ISP would be on the hook to get there problems fixed. 


 

Thank you.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extract Error Log Data from CM1000

Ok, I was curious. That was in some broadcom modems. Wasn't sure if NG has this in or not. I believe some Arris/Motorola had supported it at one time however probably removed it due to security issues which is another reason why there is not much for users to check into for logs and troubleshooting. Been security concerns over the years with cable modems. Been know vulnerabiliies as well. So the cable spec is limiting on this as well as why users can't update there own FW. I believe ISP got burned when modem mfrs sent them updates and FW was not vetted well and ISPs pushed the FW and broke users owned modems. So some ISP will no longer update users owned modems. Spectrum is one of these. 

 

I agree. The iPhone is mine but it's still ruled and limited by Apple. Something I have to just deal with. 

 

Hopefully you can get it figured out. Might try a different CM series modem, like a CM1100 or 1200. Definately try an ISP modem for sure. 

 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 873 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series