Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

False advertising

gmangi
Guide

False advertising

I purchased a brand new c7000 for $170 through amazon. Upon recieving the NEW router and modem, when attempting to register the device, it was already registered under another use! They had to verify I had actually purchased the device and I had to send a copy of my order receipt. Even further when I finally got the "New" device under my account, I couldn't get past the previous owner's security questions that had already been set up! Definitely no way it wasn't used. Spent over 3 hours on the phone with netgear with being put on hold for 30 minutes twice. I even had to call a second time after the first person I first spoke with said they would call back if we got disconnected. They never did. Then when they said they were going to escalalte the issue, they wouldn't get back to me for 3 hours. Guess what? Still no call! Everything about this experience is so unethical and false advertizing. 

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 16

Re: False advertising

@gmangi wrote:

Upon recieving the NEW router and modem, when attempting to register the device, it was already registered under another use!

This happens regularly and has nothing to do with second-hand stuff. It seems to be something that happens at Amazon. Things seem to leave the warehouse with registration issues.

For human intervention, try this:

NETGEAR Product Registration FAQ | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But you shouldn't need it.

@gmangi wrote:

Even further when I finally got the "New" device under my account, I couldn't get past the previous owner's security questions that had already been set up!

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

This bit is baffling:

@gmangi wrote:

Spent over 3 hours on the phone with netgear with being put on hold for 30 minutes twice. I even had to call a second time after the first person I first spoke with said they would call back if we got disconnected. They never did. Then when they said they were going to escalalte the issue, they wouldn't get back to me for 3 hours.

You don't need to spend a nanosecond on line to find the answer.

Even if they exist, a factory reset will instantly eliminate any old password and security questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Any support person would know that instantly. It is the first thing anyone will advise.

For more help, visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Check the section in the manual Factory Settings.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 16
schumaku
Guru

One problem with Netgear's registration process is that anybody can randomly type and mistype serial numbers, for example to gain free support access beyond of the 90 days free. There is no checksum or the like in the serial number.

Another interesting point: Considering Netgear does not publish telephone support numbers, I wonder where the @gmangi  called to. 

Excellent and comprehensive reply @michaelkenward !

Message 3 of 16
gmangi
Guide

@michaelkenward
1. Amazon claims it is a netgear problem and they don’t open packages direct from their suppliers
2. As I said, netgear confirmed that it was registered to another user previously and yes, I had no option to set my own security questions. It seems with these 2 factors that the only logical conclusion is that I am in fact not the first user and I bought this new.
3. I did a factory reset, or hit the manual reset button on the router if that’s what you’re referring to as a hard reset, and it did not resolve the issue.
It was either netgear or Amazon, but someone screwed up, an Amazon says it wasn’t them, so???
Message 4 of 16
gmangi
Guide

Here you go
Message 5 of 16
gmangi
Guide

They had transferred me to tech support after they had registered the device to my account at least, but then they couldn’t help me get past the pre programmed security questions
Message 6 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@gmangi wrote:
@michaelkenward
2. As I said, netgear confirmed that it was registered to another user previously and yes, I had no option to set my own security questions. It seems with these 2 factors that the only logical conclusion is that I am in fact not the first user and I bought this new.

You fighting a ghost. Far to many complete factory new (and factory reset devices) Netgear products ask for answers to security questions even if there was never set one after some retries of the default password..

Message 7 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@gmangi wrote:
Here you go

This is great - appears Netgear has changed things. Thank you for the insight!

Message 8 of 16
gmangi
Guide

Well then you can tell me the name of my eldest sister (that I don’t have) and my youngest brother (that I don’t have), and that’ll fix it.
Message 9 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Restart the device (power) and access again - it will ask you for the admin username (alas "admin") and password again. Default password is printed on the label - best guess it's "password".

As I said - after a number of password failures, many models will spill out hard coded password recovery questiions, even if never set. A long time design flaw. I own several Netgear devices (different from your C7000) behaving the very same way if intentionally (or by error) mistypig the password several times. And I have -never- set configured any password recovery questions.

Beyond me Netgear support was not able to handle this simple support request...

Message 10 of 16
gmangi
Guide

Yup. Did the hard reset with tech support on the phone. They weren’t able to figure it out either. Did it from my phone and hard wired to my laptop. Nothing worked. And that’s when they escalated it and then never called me back. So 🤷‍♂️
Message 11 of 16
schumaku
Guru

It never asks for username and password as per the C7000 QSG?

===

Launch a web browser.
The modem router menu displays.
If you do not see the modem router menu, enter
www.routerlogin.net or http://192.168.0.1 in
the address field of the web browser.
When prompted, enter admin for the user name
and password for the password.

===

@michaelkenward more ideas?

Message 12 of 16
gmangi
Guide

Yup. Did all that with the “admin” and “password”. Both when I opened it and after the hard reset. Input the serial #. And then hit the security questions that had somehow already been set
Message 13 of 16
schumaku
Guru

The prompt to enter the serial number is the last resort in the series of recovery questions. Are you convinced the device did a factory reset and it was restarted? Also used a cold boot (power cord)?

Potentially we're facing the "new" install method as in the C7000v2 QSG

Afraid, would love to help further, but I'm to far away lack of experience - these devices are not sold here in Switzerland and all over Europe.

Keep us updated - interesting to understand what did go wrong with your device which should allow a simple 1-2-3 setup.

Message 14 of 16
gmangi
Guide

Yea I did the power and factory reset. The pre set security questions came after entering the serial #. At this point Amazon is sending a new one and I’m returning this one, so I’m not sure that I’ll be able to provide what the exact technical issue or resolution is once I send it back. But if I find out I’ll let you know
Message 15 of 16

@gmangi wrote:
@michaelkenward
1. Amazon claims it is a netgear problem and they don’t open packages direct from their suppliers

Why have I seen similar reports of Amazon supplied stuff like this before?

Was your box still shrink wrapped?

@gmangi wrote:
2. As I said, netgear confirmed that it was registered to another user previously ...

How did Netgear confirm that? By phone? (It doesn't do phone support.) The Netgear website is not a good guide. That's where things go wrong.

I provided a link to the FAQ on how to deal with that.

(Hint, registering doesn't actually do much that isn't covered by the law.)

If Netgear did confirm it, that suggests an Amazon issue.

Your retail contract is with Amazon, not Netgear. If you don't like what you received, send it back to Amazon.

@gmangi wrote:
3. I did a factory reset, or hit the manual reset button on the router if that’s what you’re referring to as a hard reset, and it did not resolve the issue.

I am referring to the link I provided.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What do you mean by "it did not resolve the issue"?  Registering the thing? Getting it to work?

What did you do and what happened?

You refer to "not being able to register". Can you get the modem/router to work?

If  not, what happens when you try?

I'm afraid "It did not work" answers don't help to diagnose what went on at your end. We need a step by step description of what you did and what happened.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7