Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardware Repair for Nighthawk AC1900 DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem Router + Voice (C7100V)

shoneinc
Aspirant

Hardware Repair for Nighthawk AC1900 DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem Router + Voice (C7100V)

Hi - I have a bad plug connection to my motherboard. I cannot find anyone who will repair for me. Is there a repair shop available to do hardware repairs? I do not want to throw this device out for such a minor (plug connection) problem.. Please advise. Thanks.

Message 1 of 7

Re: Hardware Repair for Nighthawk AC1900 DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem Router + Voice (C7100V)

@shoneinc wrote:

I have a bad plug connection to my motherboard.

Can you give us a bit more detail?

How did you diagnose this issue?

How do you know is is a "bad plug connection"?

What is the "plug connection"? What connects to what?

What is the "motherboard"? The on on the modem/router? Something else?

Is there a repair shop available to do hardware repairs?

Netgear doesn't d this sort of thing. A local electronics repair shop might be able to help.

Problems like those you describe – bad connections – rarely need intimate understanding of the equipment involved. It is just a matter of wielding a soldering iron in the right place.

Message 2 of 7
shoneinc
Aspirant

Re: Hardware Repair for Nighthawk AC1900 DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem Router + Voice (C7100V)

Thank you for your response. Here are the answers to your questions:

Can you give us a bit more detail? When I put the plug the electric cord into the modem/router I sometimes had to shake it to energize the device (make a connection). Over time I had to shake it more and more before I got a connection. Evently, shaking did not help and when I now plug it in it is dead in the water. I changed the electric wire and it worked a couple of times and then it stopped working with the new plug. 

How did you diagnose this issue? See above

How do you know is is a "bad plug connection"? see above

What is the "plug connection"? What connects to what? One end of the electric wire connects to the wall and the other end of the wire connects to the modem/router. The end that connects to the wall has a standard 2 prongs that fit into the wall receptacle.The end that connects to the modem/router has 2-slots that fit over two round prongs in the modem router.

What is the "motherboard"? The on on the modem/router? Something else? I took the modem/router to two repair shops and both said the model/router has a electrical connection soldered on the motherboard. Neither of the repair shops do soldering work. That is the reason I am here so someone may direct me to a repair shop for a Netgear modem/router where I can send the device. It is a very expensive device and if I can not get the hardware repaired I will end up throwing away my investment. I live in a small town outside Nashville and I have tried all the local repair shops. No help.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Unless you know of a specifc repair or electrioncs repaire shop that actually does board level work or non offer this kind of work, the modem would not be repairable. NG doesn't offer any repair services. Only if units are under warranty would NG RMA the unit for another one. 

If there is a HW level failure, then you'll need to replace the modem and get something else. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 7
shoneinc
Aspirant

ank you for your reply. Hate to throw away an excellent piece of hardware because the electric plug connection has failed.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. It take some one that has the know how to get into the case then find the problem. If it's a simple re-solder work, then ya, would be simple to fix. If the connector is broke off or damaged, then you have to go in and find a new plug, if you can find something, or manufacture some alternative connection port. I used to work in home electronics repair many moons ago. 

Message 6 of 7

@shoneinc wrote:

ank you for your reply. Hate to throw away an excellent piece of hardware because the electric plug connection has failed.

Have you ruled out the adapter (transformer) that connects the modem/router to the electricity?

These are famously unreliable and more likely to fail than the devices they power. They are also pretty standard.

Any generic adapter will work, as long as it has the right volts, enough amps and a tip with the right (+/-) polarity and dimensions.

You may have something lying around with the correct output.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7