Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help c7800 router

Asianflavor
Guide

Help c7800 router

Having a problem with my c7800 the main problem is that now my internet will just shut off randomly. I've never had this problem and I think it's my isp but I just wanted to make sure I didn't get a defective product. I paid over 400 for it so I just wanted to make sure. Recently my isp Comcast had a huge outage in my area and I think they are still recovering from that but they (Comcast) tells me it's not their fault and they keep wanting to send out techs which cost 70 bucks and usually they don't do anything.
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Review the logs on when you notice this outage. If the modem is fairly new, the unit should be in good working order. 

Ensure no coax line splitters are in between the modem and ISP service box. 

Ensure good RG6 coax cable is being used. 

Have the ISP check the signal quality up to the modem. 

Factory rest the modem and setup from scratch and review the logs for any disconnects or problems seen at the time of the disconnect. Are you seeing many T3 or T4 timeouts in your modems logs?

Look at the top LEDs for indications of ISP service behaviors. Review the user manual for these behaviors. 

Message 2 of 12
Asianflavor
Guide

Thanks so where do I find the logs are they when I log into the router and in one of those settings?

Also if I have to buy a new modem I will I bought this one may 2018 so it's fairly new I hope it's not broken today it was a bit more stable and so I think I might have been right but reading reviews for this thing in Amazon has me a little worried.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be under Advanced tab/Admin or Logs. 

I have this same modem/router. Have had no issues with it. Thought I do use it as a modem only. Your issue maybe ISP signal which need to be look into more with your ISP. 

Make sure there are not coax line splitters between the modem and the ISP service box. Ensure good quality RG6 coax cabling is in place. 

Message 4 of 12
Asianflavor
Guide

So am I looking at event logs or just logs also maybe I should try just using it at a modem do you have Comcast too? I am using the Comcast self install kit and there are no splitters here the other thing is that alot of times I lose connection and all the lights are on and still flashing like if it isn't turned off but I lose connection at least 5-6 times a day and I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work.
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Look for Modem logs. You'll T3 and T4 information in the logs. 

I don't have CC ISP. 

You might contact CC and have them check the logs from there end as well. 

Message 6 of 12
Asianflavor
Guide

So yesterday we had an outage here not sure why and there was a cc truck outside my apartment fixing thing and the whole day it was pretty stable but the problem is when I woke up this morning it was down again I really hope it's not my modem maybe I should use it only as a modem and try that? Also I found event logs and then just logs and I didn't see anything that told me t3 or t4 so I'm not sure...maybe I'll just screenshot them all?
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like an ISP issue to me if they were out doing something. 

Can try tne modem in modem only mode and connect up a external router and see. 

Have the ISP check the logs from the modem as well when these events happen. 

Message 8 of 12
Asianflavor
Guide

Well they were out to fix the outage in my neighborhood because we had a bad thunderstorm here and I guess it knocked something out but yeah all good points and I thank you for your time hopefully it will get fixed soon seems better now though
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12

I would recommend installing PRTG Network Monitor and PRTG Desktop applications on one of your computers that is always left on so that you can monitor your entire network to include the C7800. PRTG will not only perform Ping tests like the comcast techs will ask you to do when you call them for support, but it will also provide information like line jitter, network utilization levels, CPU, RAM, Hard Drive utilization, security/encryption types and their status, etc.

The unlimited trial period free version supports up to 100 sensors amongst all devices being actively monitored. Additionally I setup my C7800 "Internet"  device monitoring to include ping tests to google.com, seeds.homedepot.com and mail.google.com every 60 seconds. This is a powerful tool that can bolster your position when dealing with Comcast and asking for reimbursements/credits on your bill for services not rendered.

Message 11 of 12
Asianflavor
Guide

Snap that's a good idea....I should do that.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7