Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ISP Unable to Update CM500-100NAS Modem, Asked Me to Contact Netgear?

richeyross
Aspirant

ISP Unable to Update CM500-100NAS Modem, Asked Me to Contact Netgear?

I've been having some issues with my internet for the past few months. There's some websites that will not load (ie gamestop.com), and I contacted my ISP today and they told me that my modem firmware isn't up-to-date. I checked Netgear's site for my modem:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CM500.aspx#download

which states that:
Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP.

I notified my ISP of this, and they said they were unable to perform the update from their side and to contact Netgear instead. So I tried to contact Netgear through the "Contact Us" section of their site... which basically told me my "complimentary" support had already ended and to basically reach out to the community or I'm SOL. Pretty disheartening considering that my ISP just told me that this issue is on Netgear's side, but they aren't even available to assist me with this.

So now, I'm here, completely unsure if I'm even able to somehow get this update for my modem pushed.

Can anyone provide any sort of assistance? Has anyone ever experienced an issue like this before? 

My modem is the CM500 which I listed above, and my router is a R6700 Nighthawk. I'm not sure if this issue is somehow related to the modem being out-of-date, but I also do receive the following error basically every time I login to my router from the browser:

Attention Timezone different between router and local machine. Do you want to sync timezone ?

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: ISP Unable to Update CM500-100NAS Modem, Asked Me to Contact Netgear?

Netgear can't do anything. Its all dependant on the isp. And the isp's rarely update them. 

but usually there isn't much to change with a modem. 

Maybe its not the modem causing the issue? 

Do you have a screen snip of the modem's cable connection page? 

And the event logs? 

one thing to try if your having trouble with specific websites loading, is to change your dns. 

Try googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1

Message 2 of 6
richeyross
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Netgear can't do anything. Its all dependant on the isp. And the isp's rarely update them. 

but usually there isn't much to change with a modem. 

Maybe its not the modem causing the issue? 

Do you have a screen snip of the modem's cable connection page? 

And the event logs? 

one thing to try if your having trouble with specific websites loading, is to change your dns. 

Try googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1

Thank you for the reply. I'm hoping it's not the modem!

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips, I'd be glad to capture the screenshots. How would I access the "modem's cable connection page"? Are you referring to the 192.168.1.1 site's homepage? And how would I access the event logs? Assuming it's somewhere buried in the 192.168.1.1 site?

I will try changing my DNS to the 3 you mentioned and will see if that helps. Thanks for that recommendation as well.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

to check the modem go to 192.168.100.1

Message 4 of 6
richeyross
Aspirant

Edit: I'm not sure why but when I upload the pictures of the event log and cable information, the pictures seem to be fine until I actually submit the comment.

EventLog3.JPGEventLog4.JPGModemEventLog1.JPGModemEventLog2.JPGModemInfo.JPGModemInfo2.JPG

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Your power levels aren't bad but your logs indicate line issues. 

does your setup have issues if you hardwire a pc directly to the modem? (testing modem and line)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series