Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ISP refuses to update frimware

gbgnyc
Guide

ISP refuses to update frimware

I have never experienced this before.  My ISP will not update the firmware.  There must be a workaround?

Please help

Model: CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

but is it impacting any performance?

Stability?

Many of the modems out there are out of date because of ISP's. 

If your not having issues, the firmware/security on the router/pc would be the main focus. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

There isn't. 

If you have the CM700, the firmware is part of their provisioning that they send  and they control it. 

Its rare to see ISP's update modems or modem/router combo devices because they have to certify it and it costs $. 

Are you having an issue that you think an update might fix?

Message 2 of 15
gbgnyc
Guide

Thanks for the reply.  What is the thought process that would suggest to Netgear to create a product that constantly requires updates but not allow the owner to make those updates?

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Its part of the modem cable docsis specs. Its not something netgear controls.

its an industry wide issue with docsis and isn't isolated to netgear. 

Its also why we don't usually recommend modem/router combo devices but buying routers seperate so the user can update them. 

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you having a problem with the CM modem? 

@gbgnyc wrote:

I have never experienced this before.  My ISP will not update the firmware.  There must be a workaround?

Please help

Message 5 of 15
gbgnyc
Guide

Yep, my little town ISP refuses to update the firmware

Message 6 of 15
gbgnyc
Guide

thanks for the info

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So can you give us details on whats wrong or what your experiencing with the modem? 

What kind of problems are you experiencing? 

FW update may not fix some problems...more details would be helpful.

Message 8 of 15
gbgnyc
Guide

ny firmware is out of date and a new version is available.  It appears that only an ISP can update the software.  My ISP is calle Margaretville Telecom, they will not support the hardware in any way.

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

but is it impacting any performance?

Stability?

Many of the modems out there are out of date because of ISP's. 

If your not having issues, the firmware/security on the router/pc would be the main focus. 

Message 10 of 15
gbgnyc
Guide

I try to be up to date on my wifi/router and pc, so I feel that I am good there.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If there is no issues with the modem then don't worry about the FW. The ISP won't updated anyways, even if the did update user owned modems, they won't update unless it's something that will fix a problem after everything has been troubleshot or has been fully tested by the ISP first. 

Since your ISP doesn't seem to support user owned modems, you seem to out of luck here and will need to use it as is or use one of there modems which they would be responsible for maintaining and updating. 

Message 12 of 15
gbgnyc
Guide

Thanks for the advice.  Does Netgear make a modem that allows me to update the firmware?

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

@gbgnyc wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  Does Netgear make a modem that allows me to update the firmware?

Not the modem side. But the CAX80 does allow you to update the router side of it. A new feature for netgear combo devices. 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

As @plemans mentioned the CAX80 and CAX30 series, users can update the "router" portion of the unit. The modem portion can not be user updated. So is something happens on the modem side, it's the ISP that still handles FW udpates on the modem side. 

@gbgnyc wrote:

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7