Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ISP will not update CM1200 firmware

billgiannelli
Follower

ISP will not update CM1200 firmware

My ISP, Optimum (Altice) will not update my CM1200 firm ware to 1.02.02.

How can I update my firmware?

thanks

Bill

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can't unfortunately. Its entirely ISP driven with modems and modem/router combo devices. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

You can see if someone from you isp will contact  netgear for the firmware and to do the update but it has to come from the isp. 

https://www.netgear.com/service-providers/contact-us/CableMSO.aspx

Message 2 of 7
Topology
Virtuoso

billgiannelli, I am writing in the spirit of ‘brainstorming’ to offer an unproven solution to the problem to obtaining the most recent firmware for the CM1200 modem.

Consider mailing your CM1200 modem to a friend who uses Comcast/Xfinity, and ask her/him to activate the modem.  This process should cause the most recent firmware (2.02.05) to be automatically installed by Comast/Xfinity, either immediately or after day or two.  When the modem is returned to you, perform a factory reset and then activate it on your Optimum service.  In theory, the firmware upgrade should (might?) survive the factory reset and the activation process on your ISP, and remain intact.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

It's been tried before. But the firmware is part of the provisioning from the isp
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The FW would be re-sent from the one ISP and thus downgraded back to v1. 

v2 hasn't been either sent or approved yet by all the other ISPs so NG and all the  other ISPs may still be in process of testing this out on there services. I presume once they have approved of it, then maybe they would push it out to the 1200 users. 

Message 5 of 7
N3rd007
Initiate

I haven't had any luck with Optimum, to the point where they basically just told me to "stop calling" and tell Netgear to warrenty the product.  They made me replace all of my hardware, to the tune of 2k, and then said, ya you were right it wasn't your stuff, it is Netgear... This is completely stupid.

I instead I read the fine print and though they make you sign an agreement, as it is part of your service contract that states you can't sue them basically no matter what (whole other level of corporate abuse), in most states that doesn't apply to small claims which has a maximum of 5k.  I just filed a 5K suit in CT in small claims regarding this and their lack of transparency, and support is jsut abismal.  I suggest all do the same to make them feel the pain given they have a monopoly don't care about customer satisfaction at all maybe losing hundreds of small claims cases will get them to get off their butts.  I am an engineer, and even begged them to allow me to be their beta tester, willing to run anything needed to get them data.  They told me "We don't do that"  I said, what beta test?  They said "yes".  

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Optimum has been a big problem ISP for those who have to use them. It's to bad there isn't a competing ISP that you could choose from. 

I recommend using mimimal ISP hardware that you can up to there modem. Then use a external router that you can connect to it and then you have more control over the wifif router. Let the ISP handle the modem and if something happens, then it's still there responsibility to fix it. 

Shame they are like that. 

@N3rd007 wrote:

I haven't had any luck with Optimum, to the point where they basically just told me to "stop calling" and tell Netgear to warrenty the product.  They made me replace all of my hardware, to the tune of 2k, and then said, ya you were right it wasn't your stuff, it is Netgear... This is completely stupid.

I instead I read the fine print and though they make you sign an agreement, as it is part of your service contract that states you can't sue them basically no matter what (whole other level of corporate abuse), in most states that doesn't apply to small claims which has a maximum of 5k.  I just filed a 5K suit in CT in small claims regarding this and their lack of transparency, and support is jsut abismal.  I suggest all do the same to make them feel the pain given they have a monopoly don't care about customer satisfaction at all maybe losing hundreds of small claims cases will get them to get off their butts.  I am an engineer, and even begged them to allow me to be their beta tester, willing to run anything needed to get them data.  They told me "We don't do that"  I said, what beta test?  They said "yes".  

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7