Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittently Dropping Internet Connection-C6300/AC1750

gina77
Guide

Intermittently Dropping Internet Connection-C6300/AC1750

This past weekend I replaced my old Netgear cable modem/router with the C6300v2. (The old one worked perfectly fine, but it was about 7 years old and I thought it might be time to replace it.) Unfortunately, with this one I periodically lose my wifi connection on my Windows 10 laptop computers and on my Android cell phone. However, it doesn't seem to cause any interruption in streaming on my TV using a Roku. Sometimes I can go hours without the wifi dropping, other times it will happen several times per hour. All the lights on the modem/router remain green and steady when this happens. Occasionally, the wifi will reconnect on it's own, but I often have to manually reconnect. Restarting the modem doesn't solve the problem.

Looking through this community, it looks like many people have experienced a similar problem with this device. Has anyone found a solution? Thanks.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
CAJ12
Tutor

Re: Intermittently Dropping Internet Connection-C6300/AC1750

Yeah, this went back to Walmart earlier this week (along with the extender/boosters that I thought were needed and would help - but they did not).

We exchanged the C6300 for the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (Model #C7000) for about $10 more than the AC1750 / C6300 and it has worked flawlessly since we connected it.  No drops of wifi and my doorbell camera connects with no problem.  The reach is fine.  There is definitely an issue with the C6300 model.  Sorry you missed your window of return!

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 20

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Did you look to see if it was a specific band having issues? 

You said your streamers weren't having issues. Were they not having issues because they were on the 5ghz and the devices on the 2.4ghz?

2.4ghz is slower and more sensitive to interference. 

Have you tried changing the channel fo rthe 2.4ghz to a different channel? 

Message 2 of 20
gina77
Guide

Thanks for your reply. My cell phone is on the 5ghz (I couldn't get it to work on the 2.4ghz), but everything else is on the 2.4ghz. I'm having the problem on both channels and they both drop at the same time. My old Netgear modem/router only had the 2.4ghz and I never had a problem with it.

Message 3 of 20
plemans
Guru

both channels drop at the same time? 

Do wired devices drop when the wireless devices do?

Message 4 of 20
gina77
Guide

Several times both have dropped at the same time or within seconds of each other. Today, it seemed to be only the 2.4ghz.

I mostly work wireless. Tommorrow I'll plug in the ethernet and I'll let you know what happens.

Message 5 of 20
plemans
Guru

You can also try a factory reset and reinstall.

Message 6 of 20
gina77
Guide

Well, I tried connecting with the ethernet cable. I used my laptop all day and it didn't disconnect. So, as I said the problem is the wifi. Unfortunately, there are times when I have to use my laptop in a different room so this is not a viable solution for me.

I tried doing the factory reset and reinstall. I connected my laptop via wifi and about 2 hours later the wifi disconnected. I also looked to see if there were any firmware updates and there weren't any.

I guess I should have checked here before purchasing this model since there are quite a few posts about this problem and none seem to have a solution. Unless you have any other suggestions it looks like I'm going to have to find a different modem/router and return this one.

Message 7 of 20
plemans
Guru

If you return it, I'd recommen looking for a seperate modem from the router. 

We usually don't recommend combo devices because the ISP's lock down the firmware. 

They're not user updatable. So when there are issues, even if netgear issues an update, the isp's rarely push them out. 

Message 8 of 20
gina77
Guide

Thanks for all your suggestions, plemans. My old Netgear combination modem/router worked pretty much flawlessly for 7 years, which is why I bought this one. I don't really have the space to have two devices. Since I found at least a dozen posts here with this exact problem with this particular model of modem/router and no solution, I think Netgear needs to address this or discontinue this model. I have used Netgear for many, many years and have always been very happy with them, but now I may need to try a different manufacturer.

Message 9 of 20
CAJ12
Tutor

I'm having the EXACT same annoying issue!!!   My previous C6300 lasted 5 years until finally all the ports on the back failed.  Ironically, it had lock solid wifi and was still working until I had to get the new one.  So I bought this new version (which was nearly 1/2 the cost of the original 5 years later) both from Walmart and I'm having the wifi drop as you described on 2.4Ghz.  I thought it was inferior hardware limiting the range, but I'm literally 25 feet from the modem and it still drops - and now I know it's an issue after finding your thread.  I even tried a wifi extender and I'm still having the issue.  What is the sollution?  I'm on Spectrum as my service provider.

Message 10 of 20
gina77
Guide

@CAJ12, I'm sorry to say that there doesn't appear to be any solution. My internet provider is Xfinity. I've seen posts on here about this particular model of modem/router from people using various providers so it doesn't seem to be a provider issue. The only thing that has worked for me was to not use the wifi and connect via eternet cable, but that is no solution.

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@gina77 @CAJ12 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

This modem model is 8 years old now. Maybe time to get into something more updated. We recommend a separate modem unit as ISP sometimes do NOT support user owned modems let alone pushing FW updates to them. Connecting a external wifi router to a modem only unit offers users the control for FW updates for external routers when the user chooses too. 

Message 12 of 20
gina77
Guide

@FURRYe38 I live in a townhouse. There are about a dozen visible wifi connections in my area. I'm not sure how to change the channel, but I'll look into it.

How do you know how old a modem model is? I just bought this (new) a few weeks ago. The box shows a copyright data of 2020. This model appears on my internet provider's list of supported modems for my connection speed.

By the way, as I said previously my old Netgear modem/router that I had used for over 7 years and only has the 2.4 always had a stable wifi connection.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Review the user manual on how to change channels ON the modem...

If you have other wifi neighbors around with there own wifi signals, these could cause problems. 

Also check to see if you can reduce the power output of the wifi radios as well. Maybe Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

You can find anything about someting on the internet. 

@gina77 wrote:

@FURRYe38 I live in a townhouse. There are about a dozen visible wifi connections in my area. I'm not sure how to change the channel, but I'll look into it.

How do you know how old a modem model is? I just bought this (new) a few weeks ago. The box shows a copyright data of 2020. This model appears on my internet provider's list of supported modems for my connection speed.

Message 14 of 20
CAJ12
Tutor

My old one I bought in 2016 was working fine also with no wifi issues until I had to buy a new one 2 weeks ago.  I wanted to replace what I had before (this Netgear combo) so it would be what I thought would be a seamless brainless solution as I was already familiar with the online network portal for settings.  It was set to "auto" by the way and I just changed it to one of the channels in the pulldown list and I'm testing.  I'll update with my findings.  Thanks for the suggestion!!!!  Now I'm wondering if this is the same issue that made my doorbell camera go offline.  If I have success with my laptop, I'll move the doorbell over to the main broadcast and see if it still drops.  I bought a repeater and although the doorbell seems to be working solidly, my laptop (which is half the distance to the modem as my repeater) still keeps dropping out on the main broadcast signal.  I haven't tried my laptop on the repeater as that just seems ridiculous to me as a sollution.  If the channel change works, then I'd happily return the extender and put this whole issue behind me.

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 165 channel on 5Ghz are commended channels to use.

Message 16 of 20
CAJ12
Tutor

Yeah, I just tried every single channel.  6 was giving me the best signal, but it just dropped again 5 minutes ago.  Clearly no fix.   This is going back to Walmart and I'll be looking at ANY OTHER brand that they have.  This is ridiculous!  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried.  Too much of my life spent on trying to troubleshoot an issue that clearly is inferior hardware and/or firmware when comparing the same exact product down to the model number from 2016.  There was a reason it was half the price I paid in 2016.  Now I know!

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Get in to a modem only unit and find a external wifi router. There are much better wifi routers than the C6300. 

Message 18 of 20
gina77
Guide

Same experience here. I tried all the channels and the wifi still dropped. Unfortunately, I got busy and missed the return window for mine by one day. I suppose I could try to sell it online, but whoever buys it will probably want to return it so I guess I'm screwed. No more Netgear products for me.

Message 19 of 20
CAJ12
Tutor

Yeah, this went back to Walmart earlier this week (along with the extender/boosters that I thought were needed and would help - but they did not).

We exchanged the C6300 for the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (Model #C7000) for about $10 more than the AC1750 / C6300 and it has worked flawlessly since we connected it.  No drops of wifi and my doorbell camera connects with no problem.  The reach is fine.  There is definitely an issue with the C6300 model.  Sorry you missed your window of return!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7