Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is CM2000 modem compatible with managed switch

orbitalpuff
Guide

Is CM2000 modem compatible with managed switch

My comcast business modem/router was causing issues with my VOIP.  I bought a CM2000 so that I could avoid SIP management.  When I plug the CM2000 to my managed switch my network cannot receive internet.  I connect directly to the CM2000 and there's internet.  I plug a different modem into the switch and there's internet. The only combination that does not work is the CM2000 and the switch.  

I fussed with it yesterday then gave up and hired an IT company.  They are telling me the CM2000 is not compatible with my switch since it cannot generate IPs. I thought the point of the managed switch was to set the IPs for my network not the modem.  Can y'all help direct me if this is not workable? Thanks

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

What other modem did you plug in? 

What switch do you have?

There's different levels and some have dhcp/nat built in (basically a router built in) and then there's basic ones. 

Message 2 of 12
orbitalpuff
Guide

My switch is a Zyxel GS1900-24EP. I believe it was setup with static IPs going to all the building's devices (I definitely could be wrong).  There are two WIFI Routers attached to the switch.  I have a T-Mobile 5g home internet device as a backup an that has worked at providing the switch with internet.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

What modem did you have before?
You current switch is a pretty basic manager switch. It's not going to do the job by itself.. You can always call zyxel to confirm though as it's their gear. If you're trying to do a dual wan option for failover (and cheap), why not check into the edge routerx. I believe it supports both those options and is cheap.
Message 4 of 12
orbitalpuff
Guide

My main goal is for my VOIP to work.  I have the T-Mobile device off to the side (unplugged) just for when there are network outages.  I guess I need a router between my modem and switch?  I just need to find one can can turn off SIP.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI, Regarding SIP ALG, was a known problem years ago with this being enabled and the work around was to disable it. I believe since then that the core framework and probably most bugs have been worked out from the designers of the SIP ALG framework. I personally and others have tested both SIP enabled and disabled on various NG routers and Wi-Fi systems. Both modes are working well with todays phones and VOIP devices. I believe the claim that SIP should always be disable from years ago may not apply now days. Most NG routers have SIP enabled. Also we've not seen tons of posts regarding it over the past few years. I recommend trying SIP ALG enabled first. Of course, if there is a problem one can always disable it on NG routers. SIP ALG is enabled on my routers that I use and test with.

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 12
orbitalpuff
Guide

Thanks for the help! Goto is my VOIP service, they logged into the system and seemed convinced that it was the SIP interfering with things.  I think it's getting beyond my knowledge level and I'll see if I can get an IT company to straighten things out.  

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you'll need A router of some sort in between the CM modem and your switch to get proper networking running first thing. Then test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aohcQiveE0M

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

buying a router is probably much cheaper than paying a tech to come out. 

The Edge router-X's have dual wan for the failover and are really cheap. 

You'd have to do a bit of research on setting up failover as it isn't just plug and play

Message 9 of 12
orbitalpuff
Guide

Thanks, I'll pick one up and give it a go!

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

If you're using that hotspot, here's their guide to use the dual wan with either load balancing or failover (falls back to the hotspot when the modem goes down)

EdgeRouter - WAN Load-Balancing – Ubiquiti Support and Help Center

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I wish SparkLight would let me have Internet to there Hitron modem that only has phone services. Would like to try this Fail over between the Hitron and the CAX80. 🤔

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7