Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with downstream

rbierman1
Aspirant

Issue with downstream

I have a very similar issue with the CAX80.  The downstream light (the one right under the power light) flashes white until I reboot the modem and then it goes back to normal (solid white) but the issue repeats usually within 24 hours.  I have had this modem for several months and never had any issues until a few days ago.  I have the latest firmware (2.1.3.7).  It doesn't seem to affect my internet connection and when I do a speed test, the numbers are right where they should be according to the speed of the service I am paying for (300mbps).  I contacted my ISP (Sparklight) to report the issue and they sent a tech out to check signal levels.  He checked outside at the pole where my line is connected to their main line and then in the box mounted on the outside of my house and at the connection on the back of my modem.  There are no other splitters, couplers or anything in the line.  He told me that the signal levels were right where they should be.  The only clue to what the problem could be was offered by a tech at Sparklight's office who said that it appeared that the modem was switching between DOCSIS 3.0 And DOCSIS 3.1.  I do not understand why it would do that or what effect that would have on this issue.  I have attached a text file showing  the Cable Diagnostic Info from the modem menu that I saved to a file.   The first half of the file shows the info when the downstream light is flashing white and the second half shows the info when the light is solid white.  Anybody have any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Issue with downstream

You have lots of Correct and Un-correctables that should be zero.

I see errors and some criticals as well in the events log pages that the ISP needs to look into.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

How long is the RG6 cable from the ISP box outside to the modem? 

Check for any kinks in the cabling and ensure all jack fittings are snug.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Does the modem feel overly warm or hot to the touch?

Message 2 of 4
rbierman1
Aspirant

As I stated in my original post, a technician was sent here and checked the line all the way from the connection on the pole into my house and all the way to the modem.  He told me that the signal level and quality was fine.  As far as the RG6 cable, my ISP furnished and installed it, so I assume it is good quality.  The length of the cable from my modem to the box on the outside wall of my house is approximately 15 feet and from there to the pole is approximately 60 feet.  The technician also physically inspected the cable and fittings and did not find any issues.  He even disconnected all fittings, inspected them, and reconnected them.  The only thing I haven't done per your suggestions is the factory reset and I plan to try that soon.  Also the modem does not seem to be overly warm or hot.  I will report back after I have done the factory reset.  Thanks. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Did the tech check the downstream while he was there at the modem? Did you show him the modem? 

I recommend placing a laptop cooler under the modem to help for additional cooling. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7