Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lag when gaming

Ralo14
Tutor

Lag when gaming

I just recently replaced my old modem with a CM700. I have had the R7000 for a while and it runs with zero issues beside needing a reset recently to pick back up Wifi speed. Now when I am playing games online I am experiencing some lag/rubberbanding. Could there be any settings that should be adjusted for the modem? 

Model: CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Lag when gaming

there's not any settings to change on the modem. 

do you experience the same lag/issues if your gaming system is directly connected to the modem? 

Message 2 of 6
Ralo14
Tutor

I am not in a location where that is possible but I built this PC months ago and never had any issues gaming on it. I am fairly close to my router (R7000). This is a new issue that just started. When I have my ping visible in game it will spike from 30-40 to 1000. When I ping test my router in Windows 10 everything looks fine. When I ping test Google DNS server I get occasional errors for request timed out.ping.png

Message 3 of 6
Ralo14
Tutor

I just realized there is a typo in the OP. The modem is a CM600. Hooked directly to the modem and running a ping test in terminal on my Macbook gives me bad results also. I have normal ping for a bit then it drops for 3-4 seconds and comes back. Xfinity claims everything looks fine on their side. 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and event logs from the modem?

Message 5 of 6
Ralo14
Tutor

I do not have one. I did hook up my old modem (zoom 5341J), which is probably almost 10 years old and a great modem it just won't handle the speed I upgraded to. When I was on the CM600 modem my jitter on a speed test was 97ms and on the zoom it is 3ms. I also played a match in an online game with the old modem and got no lag spikes. It seems like to me I just got a bad CM600. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7