Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latency variation and packet loss with CM1100/Orbi RBR750 combo

GoPadres
Aspirant

Latency variation and packet loss with CM1100/Orbi RBR750 combo

Hello, I'm using a CM1100 modem and Orbi RBR750 mesh wifi system. I've been having issues with online games like Warzone and Rocket League where I get lag spikes and the "rubber banding" effect constantly. I'm using a wired connection from my main orbi router to my desktop. I had this same issue with a wired connection to my xbox for about 6 months before I recently built a pc. There are some days where the issues seem to go away, at least for the most part, but usually it spikes every 10 minutes or so. I have reset my modem and router multiple times, and tried adjusting several settings in the orbilogin.com page like disabling port scan, adjusting MTU size, disabling security, and putting the orbi into AP mode. I've also updated the routers firmware, the modems firmware appears to be up to date.

As for the cabling, there is a 1->2 coax splitter (unsure of correct terminology) outside the house and then a Leviton "Premium 1x8 CATV module" before the modem. My current suspicion is that the splitters are the root of the problem, however, I had a guy from my ISP come out and he tested the set up and set it all looked good. I've also tried using pingplotter to try to narrow down the issue, but the results of mny tests are inconsistant. Some times I notice a large amount of jitter, other times I see packet loss on one of the first hops, and other times the packet loss is upstream ( around hop 5-7, never on the last few hops).

A couple more wierd things that might be relevant:

My Xbox was telling me I had double NAT for a while, which is really strange because I didn't think that was possible with only using the CM1100->main orbi router->ethernet to device.

Also, the TV that is connected from the outside splitter started stuttering only when watching cable TV. But apparently the splitter and coax is all good according to the guy from my ISP, so I don't know what to make of it all.

Any tips or solutions you guys have would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Coax splitters are common when the incoming cable feed must be split to serve different parts of a building. Each splitter reduces the signal strength and also adds "connections" which can work loose or become problems.  A 2-way splitter reduced the signal strength by half.  An 8-way splitter reduces it to 1/8th of the original level.  Are there so many locations in the building needing cable service that all these splitters are necessary?

If the television "stutters", that sounds like a problem with the actual cable or connectors.

The CM1100 modem is "only a modem", so there is for sure no "Double NAT" situation.  No way. 

The CM1100 user manual describes how to log into the modem, check status, and look at logs.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CM1100/CM1100_All_MSOs_UM_EN.pdf 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

For CM1100 help and information, please visit and post here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

For Orbi AX help and information, please visit and post here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you,. 

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Coax splitters are common when the incoming cable feed must be split to serve different parts of a building. Each splitter reduces the signal strength and also adds "connections" which can work loose or become problems.  A 2-way splitter reduced the signal strength by half.  An 8-way splitter reduces it to 1/8th of the original level.  Are there so many locations in the building needing cable service that all these splitters are necessary?

If the television "stutters", that sounds like a problem with the actual cable or connectors.

The CM1100 modem is "only a modem", so there is for sure no "Double NAT" situation.  No way. 

The CM1100 user manual describes how to log into the modem, check status, and look at logs.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CM1100/CM1100_All_MSOs_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 3 of 12
GoPadres
Aspirant

Ok thank you so much for this info. It seems like the 1x8 splitter is probably unnecessary, so that can go.

The double NAT was probably some kind of bug with the Xbox then, I'd assume. However, I have noticed there are two personal IP addresses when I do a pingplot or tracert, though. Is that normal?

I will look at the logs and hopefully get some useful info from them. I've seen the logs from modem before, I just wasn't able to decypher the events that were listed

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@GoPadres wrote:

Ok thank you so much for this info. It seems like the 1x8 splitter is probably unnecessary, so that can go.

If the CM1100 is the only device connected to the 8-way splitter, then it can be removed.

@GoPadres wrote:

The double NAT was probably some kind of bug with the Xbox then, I'd assume. However, I have noticed there are two personal IP addresses when I do a pingplot or tracert, though. Is that normal?

PingPlot or Trace Route from the XBox (or any other device connected to the Orbi) should show only one private IP address.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network 

If there are two, there is another router in the path somewhere.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. When I was having an issue with theTuning Adapter that supports my Tivo, the Spectrum tech immediately cut off all the existing coax connectors and crimped on new ones.  ( He also restrung the coax going up to the pole Which as it turns out, had nothing to do with the problem.)  Acted like it was a standard practice.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version do you have loaded? 

There is new FW available FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Message 7 of 12
GoPadres
Aspirant

Ok this is crazy, I thought I had the newest FW. I did not have this installed. I'm pretty sure I am one version behind. I will update this and report back if its fixed

Message 8 of 12
GoPadres
Aspirant

Its shows two, but I still think your'e right its not double NAT. I found a post on a Cox forum with my exact problem and this was an answer: Double-NAT issue - Internet - Internet Forum - Cox Support Forums. Basically they probably set some device up somewhere for me, but it doesn't support NAT. If I'm understanding that guys post correctly, and assuming thats what they did for me. I'm making a lot of assumptions here lol. So probs just a bug with Xbox. I'm gonna update FW and try to change the way my coax is set up

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't have double NAT, I have the CM1100 and it's just a modem only. So is the CM1200. There was a reported NAT problem on Orbi AX last year but I believe that was solved, even on what you have. I have two xbox consoles so I use NAT Filter set to OPEN. For single game consoles, SECURE should be used for NAT FIlter. 

Message 10 of 12
GoPadres
Aspirant

Thank you for the assistance, I have since redone my coax and updated FW versions on my router. It seemed to help for a while, but then went bad again. I'm going to have someone from my ISP look at the node servicing my neighborhood tomorrow so hopefully that's the problem and they can fix it. Regardless, appreciate the help!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements