Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for Netgear CAX80 Beta Firmware 2.1.3.1

buckduck12
Tutor

Looking for Netgear CAX80 Beta Firmware 2.1.3.1

Looking for beta firmware version 2.1.3.1 for my netgear CAX80. I read through the forums and found that the only way to fix the WiFi calling issue with this device (ipsec alg) is to install firmware version 2.1.3.1.

I called Netgear support to try and request the firmware as the solution suggested, and I am currently at 3.5 hours on hold, and I'm pretty sure they just dumped me into a infinite hold line.

Anyone have this firmware and are willing to share it with me? Much appreciated.

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Looking for Netgear CAX80 Beta Firmware 2.1.3.1

Would not be available. I see a v2.1.3.5 on NG download page. 

Message 2 of 18
buckduck12
Tutor

Correct, it is a beta firmware not released to the public given directly from support, which is why it is not on the download page.
Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try v.5? 

Message 4 of 18
buckduck12
Tutor

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. The ipsec alg fix was only something implemented in the 2.1.3.1 firmware and didn't carry on to further releases for some unknown reason even though it affects like 1/3 of users who have a Samsung phone.
Message 5 of 18
buckduck12
Tutor

I was finally able to get the beta firmware from Netgear Level 2 support, although I had to borrow a device from Best Buy so that they would even accept my calls. Don't even get me started on this support system...

Anyways, the firmware successfully installed and after disabling the SIP and IPSec Alg settings, WiFi calling works on my devices now. I would upload the firmware for future users who have this issue, but they made me sign a beta agreement restricting distribution. But just call support and insist escalation to L2 so that you can get the beta firmware. Also please continue to let them know that we need these features in the future public release versions.

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

So on the released FW versions, SIP and IPSEC enabled or disabled causes wifi calling to NOT work on the CAX80? 

@buckduck12 wrote:

I was finally able to get the beta firmware from Netgear Level 2 support, although I had to borrow a device from Best Buy so that they would even accept my calls. Don't even get me started on this support system...

Anyways, the firmware successfully installed and after disabling the SIP and IPSec Alg settings, WiFi calling works on my devices now. I would upload the firmware for future users who have this issue, but they made me sign a beta agreement restricting distribution. But just call support and insist escalation to L2 so that you can get the beta firmware. Also please continue to let them know that we need these features in the future public release versions.

Message 7 of 18
buckduck12
Tutor

Correct. The SIP Alg and IPsec Alg functions are enabled by default with no ability to disable for any of the public release firmwares. With these enabled, WiFi calling does not work on the CAX80 for many devices as many users have reported.

Daydemon brought this issue up to the engineers back in 2020 and they created the beta firmware 2.1.3.1 to correct this issue, but never implemented it into the future releases.
Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I'll get this back on NGs plate for review as see if we can make sure this is fully resolved. 

I'll be checking my newly installed CAX30 as well for this. 

Message 9 of 18
buckduck12
Tutor

Perfect, thank you!
Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 11 of 18
TheCountChuckul
Initiate

Hey, I just got support from Netgear, and I was able to fix it with my current firmware (2.1.5.2)

May require a reboot. I did out of habit after I changed my settings.

wifi calling fix cax80.png

Message 12 of 18
buckduck12
Tutor

WiFi calling works on your device with the latest firmware?
Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Got reports back from other users that SIP ALG when enabled with WiFI Calling on CAX30. 
I recommend first try with SIP ALG disabled then enabled with WiFI Calling. 

Message 14 of 18
TheCountChuckul
Initiate

Not until I changed those settings.
Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What were the results? 

@TheCountChuckul wrote:
Not until I changed those settings.

Message 16 of 18
buckduck12
Tutor

There were no SIP alg options for me until I downloaded the 2.1.3.1 firmware.
Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

SIP ALG should be seen in the more recent version of release FW. I know mine has it. 

Something to try a Factory Reset and setup from scratch next time you update FW. 

I guess use what works for you for now. NG is working on the CAX30 currently. We are testing new FW out since it saw a problem back in Jan. I'll be sure to keep the CAX80 on NG radar and hope we'll be coming back to put the CAX80 on the forefront to help get issues fixed. Please be patient. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7