Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear C3000 LAN speed ok slow wifi

matrix1781
Aspirant

Netgear C3000 LAN speed ok slow wifi

hi

I have a netgear C3000 modem. My ISP is Comcast and the plan speed is 50MPS. My wired conenction seems to yield that speed but wireless drops to 12MBPs or even 5 MBPs most of the time. Tried changing the channel to 7 but no luck. Any experience in this matter. i do have a mac,couple of iphones, a sonos and a fire tv all connecting thru wireles..

Message 1 of 20
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do those devices you listed show the same effect at the same time?

Message 2 of 20
matrix1781
Aspirant

When I do a speed test I am getting similar speeds on my phone and mac?  Today it was about 20MBPs after I rebooted the modem. 

Message 3 of 20
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you run a LAN-LAN throughput test using a utility like Netstress or similar? This might help identify where the loss of throughput is occurring. It may also help to repeat that test at a different location e.g. a friend or relative’s house, a LAN-LAN test should not need an Internet connection. How long does it typically take for the throughput to drop?

Message 4 of 20
va_c3000_sj
Aspirant

We just activated a new C3000.

If I connect the laptop using a cable to the Modem-ROuter(C3000) , I get a speed test result of 70+ MBPS.

When I connect using wifi , I do not get beyond 20MBPS.

I have configured it to Channel 9 reviewing all used channels in the vicinity.

The router is supposed to support 300MBPS . so why cann I not go beyond 20MBPS.

I checked the mode that is also set to be at 150Mbps.

Can you help?

Vijay

Message 5 of 20
ebrunvand
Aspirant

y Re: Netgear C3000 LAN speed ok slow wifi

Has anybody come up with any solutions to this problem? I have the same issue. C3000 cable modem. 

- I have 25Mbps plan from Comcast

- when connected by wire to the modem, I get 25+Mbps

- I've already contacted Comcast/Xfinity, they've verified that things look good from their end and the modem is synced with them

- On wifi I get between 1Mbps and 3Mbps download - this is consistent across multiple Macs, in multiple locations in the house

- I get around 4-5Mbps upload which is within spec - it's just the download that is unusably slow

- I've changed channels - no change. I've made sure that I'm the only local wifi on that channel - no change. 

- I've disabled WMM support (as per some other web suggestions) - no change. 

The wifi is unusably slow - isn't there anyone who can tell what's going on here!?!?!?!

Thanks!

-Erik

Message 6 of 20
md_faiz_ali
Guide

I have n600 and facing same problem. Speed is good over wired LAN but very poor over wifi. I have raised issue with FCC

Message 7 of 20
ahastings1
Aspirant

I have same problem. 150 mbps wired lan but only 35 mbps wireless. I just purchased this modem so I put in a support case with netgear. if I get a solution will post up

Message 8 of 20
md_faiz_ali
Guide

Its of no use. Everyone using N600 are having the same issue. I have raised a complaint with FCC that ticket is currently being reviewed. Requesting everyone reading this and having same issue to raise ticket with FCC so the false advertisement regarding data rate should be rectified by netgear

Message 9 of 20
ltlepaw
Tutor

Has this ever been solved? We bought this in June, and have had problems throughout. Comcast has officially washed their hands of us. And the only thing I get from Netgear is to purchase and $80 month help service.

Message 10 of 20
md_faiz_ali
Guide

Beware donot fall in the trap of $80 service, better spend that money on some good Wifi Router. As i got to know from my internal sources ( employees working in Netgear ) This is a know issue in Netgear hardware. They have released this product with a major bug. I replaced netgear device with Arris 8141 (modem) + Archer C7 wifi router. It works like charm with blasting speed. Choice is yours

Message 11 of 20
Srk1
Initiate

The issue with wifi is seems to be unversal across if both modem/Router are in on device.

A week back I got ARRIS SBG6580 and had terrible issues with wifi reception and speed though over cable speed was good.

I returned and bought this C3000 and spent over 30 mins with Comcast tech support but in vain. I have 75MBPS speed and over wifi I'm getting maximm 15 MBPS.

Not sure whom to contact for the solution. Comcast or Netgear.

I'm going to summarize and report to FCC over these deceptive manufacturers

Message 12 of 20
cloudgts
Initiate

I am also having the same issue. who do I raise a ticket with the FCC, cause this I will.
Message 13 of 20
twessman88
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. It literally stopped working at day 91. Very convienent. My speed with Ethernet is over 90mbps and without is 2mbps. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 14 of 20
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello twessman88

Have you tried to adjust the WIfi channel to see if this improves the wifi speed?

DarrenM

Message 15 of 20
stewilliams138
Aspirant

Hey,

I just bought this item had the same issue, troubleshooted this several times with Netgear no avail.  Changed wireless settings, the fragmentation legnth ect, nothing worked.  I got frustrated because I did not know if it was my OS or the new modem/router.  I did know that my mac was getting good wifi signals most of the time at the correct speeds, just not my windows PC.  I finally gave the mode/router one more shot and went into the settings 192.168.0.1 go to advanced settings/administration/router mode.  Ensure that this is turned on.  By default, nothing is filled.  I think this is the reason for the inconsistent signals I was getting prior.  It's not guarantted to boost your speed that you were exp prior, but it should fix the overal connection you were getting, it definitely increased my connection and speed; although the speed test dont really reflect any changes on internet speed test sites.  I am still running the original version 1.0.1.11 and have not updated that and this is not a prb and my ISP is Time Warner Cable.  Hopefully this fix helps you, not sure why the default for router mode is not on "yes". 

Hope this helps.

Message 16 of 20
Jonoregon
Tutor

80 Mbps Wired speed, 14 wireless. This thing is junk

Message 17 of 20
Jonoregon
Tutor

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello twessman88

Have you tried to adjust the WIfi channel to see if this improves the wifi speed?

DarrenM

I tried changing the channel.  Got up to 25 Mbps but back down to 14 Mbps.

Wired I have about 80 Mbps.

Message 18 of 20
Jonoregon
Tutor

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello twessman88

DarrenM

Yes I have.  I did get up to 25 Mbps for a few hours.  No where near the 80 Mbps wired.

Message 19 of 20
manueljgr
Initiate

I also Have the same issue for a long time. I have tried all possible recommended solutions

wired conecction ok, wireless connection bad. I only get 10-20 out of 100 Mbps

My service provider is TWC, now Spectrum.  To whom do I have to complain?

Manuel

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7