Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear C7000v2 Modem Router - Slow Internet speed over 5GHz wifi network

rohitruls
Aspirant

Netgear C7000v2 Modem Router - Slow Internet speed over 5GHz wifi network

Hi All,

• I have a 600mbps Internet only plan from Xfinity/Comcast.
  • I purchased a Netgear C7000v2 Modem Router (AC1900) to replace my old router + modem setup.
  • The New Netgear C7000v2 Modem Router is able to go past 600mbps over wired connection but it can't go past 270mbps over 5GHz wifi network. The Netgear is capable of 1.3gbps over 5GHz network.
  • My old router (AC1900) + Arris Modem setup was able to deliver speeds upto 400mbps on 5GHz wifi network and full 600mbps over wired conection. If I connect the Old router to the New Netger Model router, the old Router is still able to give 350mbps+ speeds on 5GHz wifi Network.

I have tried the following troubleshoot methods already and none worked.

1. Factory Reset the Modem Router.

2. Changed 5GHz Channel to 161.

3. Changed CTS/RTS Threshold from 2345 to 2304.

4. Changed DNS Address to Primary DNS:8.8.8.8 & Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4
5. Changed MTU size from 1500 to 1492.
6. Power cycled the modem router.
7. Observed the connection for 24 hours.

8. Firmware version is v1.03.03 (Latest). I asked Xfinity support to reflash the firmware (Since the firmware is provider managed) but they were not sure how to do it.

Questions

1. What are my options?
  2. Am I eligible for a Brand New Replacment if this can't be fixed?
  3. Did aybody else face similar problems and what was the fix?
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices are you using to speed test with? 

What connection rates are you seeing with these devices connected to the 5Ghz radio? 

Depending upon devices and connection rates, most devices max out at around 300-500Mpbs depending upon there support and design. Not all wifi devices can speed test beyond these speeds on 5Ghz. 1x1 or 2x2 antenna supporting devices is a factor. 4x4 devices can support higher speeds. 

Message 2 of 13
rohitruls
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

I am using both my Laptop as well as Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ device to check the speeds on www.Speedtest.net and www.Fast.com.

When connected to the old router's 5GHz network (which is plugged into the Netgear Router Modem's gigabit port) I am getting over 370mbps download speed on both laptop as well as cellphone (when checked on the sites mentioned above). When I connect to the Netgear 5GHz network, the download speeds drop down under 200mbps.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Armor, Access controls or Traffic Meter enabled? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? 

Turn OFF or disable 2.4Ghz and leave 5Ghz running only. Ensure no other devices are connected to the 5ghz radio. 

Set channel to 48. Set highest connect mode on the 5Ghz radio. Set WPA2 and AES only. 

Be sure to turn OFF the other wifi router. 

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

I doubt you'll see more than 300mbps over 5ghz with the C7000. 

The C7000 is roughly a R7000 but is a combo device meaning it has a modem as well. 

the R7000 would get over 300mbps but not a whole lot more. And it had its full power budget for just the router portion. 

The C7000 had to split its power/processing budget between both the modem and the router side. 

This means its not going to have the same performance as the r7000 because its a combo device. 

Its one of the reasons we recommend seperate modems from routers besides some of the other reasons why we recommend avoiding them. 

Message 5 of 13
rohitruls
Aspirant

But in the specifications the Router is rated at 1.3gbps oer 5GHz.

@plemans wrote:

I doubt you'll see more than 300mbps over 5ghz with the C7000. 

The C7000 is roughly a R7000 but is a combo device meaning it has a modem as well. 

the R7000 would get over 300mbps but not a whole lot more. And it had its full power budget for just the router portion. 

The C7000 had to split its power/processing budget between both the modem and the router side. 

This means its not going to have the same performance as the r7000 because its a combo device. 

Its one of the reasons we recommend seperate modems from routers besides some of the other reasons why we recommend avoiding them. 

So shouldn't it atleast be able to go upto 600mbps with ease? I might have to go back to my old setup if this netgear router modem isn't able to deliver the speeds its rated for.

Message 6 of 13
rohitruls
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Armor, Access controls or Traffic Meter enabled? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? 

Turn OFF or disable 2.4Ghz and leave 5Ghz running only. Ensure no other devices are connected to the 5ghz radio. 

Set channel to 48. Set highest connect mode on the 5Ghz radio. Set WPA2 and AES only. 

Be sure to turn OFF the other wifi router. 

The traffic meter is off.

The factory was done from scratch using the reset button at the back of the modem.

I will try out the settings you mentioned and let you know if that makes any difference.

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

@rohitruls wrote:

So shouldn't it atleast be able to go upto 600mbps with ease? I might have to go back to my old setup if this netgear router modem isn't able to deliver the speeds its rated for.

I wish it were that simple. Speed specs are very over rated and greatly depend on your device. I highly recommend reading a little bit here: 

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

It goes over the misunderstandings of wifi. Its very well written and pretty easy to understand. 

And, like I said, you have to keep in mind, a combo device isn't going to have the same performance as a unit dedicated to run as a single device (with similar specs). Same as a drag car is going to beat a street/strip car in a race. One is designed for a dedicated function while the other has to split functions with its resounces. 

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

"Router is rated at 1.3gbps oer 5GHz." This is a a connection rate between the routers radio and the connecting wifi device ONLY. this is not thruput speeds. Lots of various factors contribute to wifi actual bandwidth/thruput speeds. 

@rohitruls wrote:

Message 9 of 13
rohitruls
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"Router is rated at 1.3gbps oer 5GHz." This is a a connection rate between the routers radio and the connecting wifi device ONLY. this is not thruput speeds. Lots of various factors contribute to wifi actual bandwidth/thruput speeds. 

@rohitruls wrote:

I agree, I am not expecting to get the entire 600mbps download speed but I atleast expect it to deliver over 400mbps download speed.

I too prefer a Separate Router + Separate Modem Setup but I am in this situation now with a trusted brand Modem Router Combo device and I need to find a fix to this. This device is capable of better download speeds. I have seen other members reporting download speed over 700mbps for the same device.  (Refer this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Getting-35-Mbps-upload-with-xfinity-amp-C700...)

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you find a separate modem and external wifi router. The CM series of modems is good. Iv'e enjoyed my CM1100, 1200. The CM2000 isn't bad either. IF your wanting something that provides good wifi speeds thats over 400Mpbs, then you'll need something RAX or maybe Orbi to check out. Last R series router I got was the R7960P and XR450. They do ok but the 7960 doesn't support 160Hz and while the XR450 does. So not sure about RAX stuff as I don't have anything with experienced there on those models. Orbi AC and AX I do. Orbi AX supports speeds well over 600Mpbs on 5Ghz. The C7000 I believe just hasn't the performance needed. 

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

I agree, I am not expecting to get the entire 600mbps download speed but I atleast expect it to deliver over 400mbps download speed.

(Refer this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Getting-35-Mbps-upload-with-xfinity-amp-C700...)

In the post you linked to, the users doesn't say if they're connecting wired/wireless. The C7000 won't hit 700mbps over wireless. Wired, sure. but not wireless. 

And the 1.3gbps is when you're using a 3x3 antenna device. The vast majority of wireless devices are 1x1 or 2x2 for AC. Meaning the max link connecting is 866mbps for a 2x2 device and 433mbps for a 1x1 device. Thats link speed, not throughput. throughput is roughly 55-65% of link speed on a optimal setup. Again that'd be with an optimal setup. Not on a combo device, not in an area with wireless congestion, and distance makes a big difference as 5ghz speeds drop off quickly with distance. 

One thing I will mention is that unless you're doing frequent data backup, throughput isn't as big a deal as most make it out to be. a 4k streaming device only needs 25-40mbps to stream decently. If you're needing to hit speeds over 200-300mbps on wireless, I'd be looking at upgrading to an AX router and AX devices. 

Message 12 of 13
dan305
Tutor

Rohitruls have you found a solution ? I have the same issue i used to have 400 mbps plan and would get 400 mbps or close all the time. xfinity upgraded to 600 and after that upgrade

@rohitruls wrote:

Hi All,

• I have a 600mbps Internet only plan from Xfinity/Comcast.
  • I purchased a Netgear C7000v2 Modem Router (AC1900) to replace my old router + modem setup.
  • The New Netgear C7000v2 Modem Router is able to go past 600mbps over wired connection but it can't go past 270mbps over 5GHz wifi network. The Netgear is capable of 1.3gbps over 5GHz network.
  • My old router (AC1900) + Arris Modem setup was able to deliver speeds upto 400mbps on 5GHz wifi network and full 600mbps over wired conection. If I connect the Old router to the New Netger Model router, the old Router is still able to give 350mbps+ speeds on 5GHz wifi Network.

I have tried the following troubleshoot methods already and none worked.

1. Factory Reset the Modem Router.

2. Changed 5GHz Channel to 161.

3. Changed CTS/RTS Threshold from 2345 to 2304.

4. Changed DNS Address to Primary DNS:8.8.8.8 & Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4
5. Changed MTU size from 1500 to 1492.
6. Power cycled the modem router.
7. Observed the connection for 24 hours.

8. Firmware version is v1.03.03 (Latest). I asked Xfinity support to reflash the firmware (Since the firmware is provider managed) but they were not sure how to do it.

Questions

1. What are my options?
  2. Am I eligible for a Brand New Replacment if this can't be fixed?
  3. Did aybody else face similar problems and what was the fix?

im only getting 275 mbps. If you have found a solution please let me know. My email is eoreda3@aol.com or you can post it here. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7