Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie is horrible, unfunctioning abandonware and its replacement requires a smartphone.

CharlesMabe
Guide

Netgear Genie is horrible, unfunctioning abandonware and its replacement requires a smartphone.

I bought a Netgear Nighthawk router/modem combo from Target for $210 + tax the other day. I don't have a receipt or a box but I demand a refund. I will never buy another Netgear product again, and I will tell everyone to stay very clear of Netgear.

Literally nothing on Netgear Genie worked. There were even awful pop-up windows where you were supposed to select folders or settings, but there were none to select. I can't get filesharing working or FTP-- the interface literally doesn't load properly (and yes, my adblocker is off on Netgear Genie) and I can't reset the firmware in hopes of fixing it! I can't set hours for specific device usage without downloading an awful parenting app. You couldn't manually update the firmware. There was no Samba. The hardware itself was a DOCSYS 3 modem and it had one effing USB 2.0 port and no 3.0 ports. The thing is a joke!

Later I discovered that Netgear Genie is actually abandonware and you were supposed to download the Netgear Nighthawk App. Where did I learn this? A random online community-- not from Netgear themselves! And the app requires a smartphone, which I don't currently have. And so I tried to use BlueStacks to use the app, which is hardly worth the inconvenience as it is. And wouldn't you know it, not even THAT worked! The Android emulator's wifi settings weren't compatible, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Netgear, if you don't have a functioning web app for your routers and people can't use your phone app, then they don't have time to use your product. I want my home network filesharing back. I want my router software sanity back. I'm moving back to Asus. They had competent software and hardware.

I also should say that the official support page for setting up file sharing via Netgear Genie is incredibly short, incomplete, vague, and pretty much unusable. So good job on that.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Genie is horrible, unfunctioning abandonware and its replacement requires a smartphone.

Maybe check out NG support and communities and do more research before you buy. Genie also has its own forum as well as the NH app. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/bd-p/home-genie

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/bd-p/en-home-networking-apps

Also you DON'T need an app to set up the modem. A wired PC and web browser can be use. Has been the norm and standard for years and will continue to be going foward. 

Good Luck 

Message 2 of 6
CharlesMabe
Guide

Are you effing serious?

First of all, I DID research before I bought. You know what Netgear research looks like? It's the #1 router in the US, 4.5 to 5-starred by everyone on Amazon with reviews in the *thousands*, and you can't actually find information that says "Netgear Genie web app is actually broken. You can technically get your router working, but there's no samba, the file-sharing interface windows don't load properly so you can't select folders because the buttons don't exist, and the desktop app doesn't actually recognize your goddamned router on the network"!

Even this website is so sloppily-designed that it's quite obvious that Netgear hasn't cared about any of its "old" software (such as the site and the web app) in ages! My input box has no side padding and YOUR reply box has text overflow on the right (on the page where I am inputting this reply)!

The support page for file-sharing wasn't even followable because the interface doesn't have those links and buttons anymore!

And check this out: https://www.netgear.com/search-support.aspx?&q=usb%20share%20files

Do you see any relevant results? No? I thought not!

Netgear support is absolute garbage!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Why are you relaying upon the Genie app when it's no longer being developed on?

Again, the Genie app is no longer needed or supported. Using routers web pages is all thats needed or for quick status checking the NH app can be used for those supported devices. 

Research means more than looking at reviews. One needs to check on whats all supported, user manuals, specs and check with forum communities first before buying. Seems like if you had done this you would have changed your mind. 

The Genie app is EOL. Lets move along now. 

Message 4 of 6
CharlesMabe
Guide

Are you a troll? I said "WEB app". You know, using the address 192.168.0.1 on a browser. Not the damned phone app. THE WEB APP IS BROKEN. It's not a site, it's an app. It isn't hosted on another server, it's hosted on my own router. I clearly stated I don't have a phone. You don't read, you don't listen, you come in here with this spiteful, arguing attitude. "Guru" really? Netgear support is an effing joke.

iT'S NoT OuR FaUlT ThE RoUtEr's uSeR InTeRfAcE Is cOmPlEtElY BrOkEn. YoU ShOuLd hAvE ReAd tHe uSeR MaNuAlS AnD ReAd rAnDoM FoRuMs oNlInE BeFoRe bUyInG.

Message 5 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] I said "WEB app". [...]

You said many things, the meaning of which was not always clear.

> [...] using the address 192.168.0.1 on a browser. [...]

Generally, "app" means "application program", not a web site,
accessed through a web browser.  (A web browser _is_ an "app".)

> [...] It's not a site, it's an app. [...]

No, it's a web site, not an app.

> [...] It isn't hosted on another server, it's hosted on my own router.
> [...]

Exactly.  It's a web site, hosted on your own router.

> [...] You don't read, you don't listen, you come in here with this
> spiteful, arguing attitude. "Guru" really? Netgear support is an effing
> joke.

This is a user forum, not "Netgear support".

> Literally nothing on Netgear Genie worked. [...]

Not a good start.  "nothing worked" is not a useful problem
description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say what
happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions (commands)
with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be
more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

Also, as you might now realize, "Netgear Genie" is not a well-defined
term.

> [...] The hardware itself was a DOCSYS 3 modem and it had one effing
> USB 2.0 port and no 3.0 ports. [...]

> [...] First of all, I DID research before I bought. [...]

Were these facts/features secrets before you bought the device?

> [...] Where did I learn this? [...]

Are you asking or telling?  Thanks for the helpful links.

> Netgear support is absolute garbage!

Perhaps.  Some of the rants found in these user forums aren't worth
much, either.

> iT'S NoT OuR FaUlT [...]

I hope that your typography improves when you grow up.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7