Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Router Exploit - 10/8/2015

KLD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear Router Exploit - 10/8/2015

So, apparently my router has been hit in this recent exploit. I am unable to log into my gateway using my current password that worked the last time I logged in. This is done via Lastpass so I know it is suppesed to be what i set it to (not 'password'). Anyone know how to get back into the settings? thx

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
KLD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did the reset cause I was all out of options. Worked as expected. Thanks for the idea.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello KLD 

The way to get back into the settings is to factory reset the device by holding down the button with a paper clip for 10 sec this will default it back to admin and  password as the password then you can go back in and set it up.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
KLD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  Hate to do it because I have certain ports for certain devices but I appreciate the input.

Message 3 of 9
jlewter
Guide

Do not enable remote logins at all.. Also go through the router and add passwords in any place that accepts them..

If an option is greyed out but there is a empty password box, turn the option on, add the password, then turn the option back off!...

So these new forums, are they in MM/DD/YYYY format, or DD/MM/YYYY ? ....

Message 4 of 9
MarcusF
Admin

An update for JNR1010v2 / WNR614 / WNR618 / JWNR2000v5 / WNR2020 / JWNR2010v5 / WNR1000v4 / WNR2020v2 is posted here
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29959

Message 5 of 9
MarcusF
Admin

@jlewter wrote:

So these new forums, are they in MM/DD/YYYY format, or DD/MM/YYYY ? ....

It is a user preference under My Settings : Preferences - Display if logged in

Default example 

2015-10-09 11:34 PM

is October 9th 2015

Message 6 of 9

And what is it about those routers that grants us confidence this exploit doesn't extend to a wider array of Netgear products? Your say so? Being named after a Transformer? Are there other susceptible Netfear routing products at risk?

Message 7 of 9

@OptimusPrime wrote:

An update for JNR1010v2 / WNR614 / WNR618 / JWNR2000v5 / WNR2020 / JWNR2010v5 / WNR1000v4 / WNR2020v2 is posted here
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29959

Since my Epic Fail thread has been quashed by the powers that be I will ask you again:

And what is it about those routers that grants us confidence this exploit doesn't extend to a wider array of Netgear products? Your say so? Being named after a Transformer? Are there other susceptible Netfear routing products at risk?

Am I to expect cricket chirps on difficult questions you find awkward? Am I beneath even contempt?

I knew the NetUSB flaw may have been limited to firmware with that functionality, being charitable Maybe due to modularity. But that was still a prominent flaw, no? What is it about the listed routers on this current flaw that makes them unique and excludes Netgear products not explicitly listed. I hear nothing but crickets chirping and that is not good. Maybe you guys can ban replies on this thread and make it go away too. That would be most convenient for you. 

Message 8 of 9
KLD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did the reset cause I was all out of options. Worked as expected. Thanks for the idea.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7