New - CAX80 Firmware Version 2.1.5.2 Released

New Features and Enhancements: 11/11/2022

• Stability Improvements

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues
  • Fixes various bugs.

Firmware Update Instructions:

Download Link: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CAX80.aspx#download

NOTE: The .bin file is embedded with in a .rar file. Use any uncompressed/unpacking program to unpack the .rar file with in the .zip file to reveal the actual FW .bin file. It's there. 7zip is a free app. 

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/

enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

NOTE: This upgrade is for the ROUTER portion of the CAX only. Modem portion Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP. For more information, please see our https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

This article applies to:

Message 1 of 15
Reed123456
Guide

Re: New - CAX80 Firmware Version 2.1.5.2 Released

It looks like the download file is a .rar file and upload is looking for a .bin file. Any suggestions on how to load the file and make the update? 

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Unpack the .rar file to reveal the .bin file that you send using the modems web page. Ya, no idea why the .bin file is with in the .rar file. 🙄

Message 3 of 15
Reed123456
Guide

This worked. Thanks! 

Message 4 of 15
bossboar
Initiate

I'm using Xfinity as ISP provider, and still have the same upload issues to the AWS server while using 5GHz wifi with Win 11 os.  

This 2.1.5.2 FW didn't resolve the issue. Very disappointed.

@FURRYe38  AX6000 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX80) 

Message 5 of 15
Reed123456
Guide

yeah, it improved some issues for me, but overall I am still encountering most of the same issues and back to the workaround of using the 2.4ghz 

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So 5ghz is not working for you on the upload? 

Did you apply the FW and continue with use or did you factory reset and setup from scratch? 

How is the WIFI settings configured on the Basic and Advanced Wireless Settings sections? 

@Reed123456 wrote:

yeah, it improved some issues for me, but overall I am still encountering most of the same issues and back to the workaround of using the 2.4ghz 

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

SO updated my CAX80 today, finally. 

Loaded FW, factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Manual channel 1 and 40. 

Smart Connect, AX Mode, MIMO and Beamforming all enabled.

40Mhz only on 2.4Ghz. 

WPA2 + WPA3 mixed Mode. 

DCHP 192.168.0.100 thru .150

No other feature apps enabled at this time. 

Getting over 900Mpbs on the download with a wired PC.

Onboard speed test is not seeing near 900Mpbs.

OnBoardSpeedTestResults.png

NH app connected and working with CAX80:

NHAppConnected.png

NH app speed test has same as on onboard results.

5Ghz speeds are still not to spec though on the Up. Testing with a iPhone 12 Pro Max, Mac Book Pro 2018, (ASUS GT-AX11000 and NG RAXE500 in wireless bridge mode), the speed seen in less then half of 50Mpbs that I normally see. I see around high teens to 20Mpbs. 😒

Uploaded a 1Gb file and a partial 17Gb file to a cloud share successfully over a 5Ghz wifi connection using a wired PC connected to a NG RAXE500 configured for wireless bridge mode. 

Message 8 of 15
Waverider55
Aspirant

So I am the default owner of a CAX80.

I recommended it and set it up for a client as all-in-one modem/router/wifi solution in a smaller residence. Took it offline mid summer, replaced by a Netgear modem and other equipment.   I accepted it in partial payment for services.  Now I want to check the firmware version and update router firmware.

I connected the CAX80 to my router via the it's LAN port.  My router is running at 192.168.10.1.   Can ping the CAx80  at 192.168.10.100 and get to the login page at that address.   But admin/ password does not work.    Nor admin/Password   Nor admin/admin.  The local login seems OK but I sense that without connection to WWW it's not fully functional.

In a perfect world this would have taken 15-20 minutes including logging in - changing the default password - loading the bin file - the reboot and defaulting the CAX80 back to factory.  

I suppose there could be a way to get to the UI or some version of it via the app and WiFi but I like Ethernet connections and see no reason to use other methods.

And I know that if this were up and running in modem/router mode the process would be done in the aforementioned 15 minutes but I do not want to go thru all that just to check the firmware version.

What am I missing here?   Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Doug

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The CAX80 needs to be connected to a ISP coax line with a ISP signal on the line or the CAX80 will auto reboot loop continuously until a coax signal line is detected by the modem. The CAX80 doesn't have to be activated by the ISP, just a signal on the coax line from any ISP for internet will work. If you can get this far, then you should be able to log into the CAX80s web page at 192.168.1.1 or .100.1 and review the FW version there. Press the reset button for 10 seconds then release should be all thats needed. Wire connect one pc to the LAN port in back. Use the 1Gb ports. I use MS Edge for any FW update loading. Try Firefox as an alternative. 

Message 10 of 15
Waverider55
Aspirant

I knew there had to be a way!   I knew I could get at the info once fully activated but of course did not want to go thru that rigamarole!    I appreciate the quick response and will log back in here with any further questions and/or progress report.

Thanks

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 12 of 15
Waverider55
Aspirant

Progress report:

Yup... those instructions worked.    Got right to the password prompt.   A little surprised that it immediately opened the page prompt for creation of new password.      I thought I had factory defaulted this unit.  Am i misinformed to think that in default mode the login page will accept default user/pass (admin / password)?

Follow up question:   How do you factory default the CAX80?  I was certain I had done so correctly.   However, once I was into the UI I discovered that my client's wifi SSID and login info were still on board.     I suppose I could manually enter the SSID/password on the label and erase the old but a factory reset would be simpler.  This inquiring mind wants to know the correct/complete factory default procedure and what a factory defaulted unit should "look like".  For example, will defaulting recover the SSID and username on the CAX80's pre-printed label.      

Also,  should I take the follow-up question to a different thread?

Thanks

Doug

Message 13 of 15
Waverider55
Aspirant

Reply to myself.   A couple of thread subject lines refer to default procedures for CAX80 but I do not find/see a thread in which someone clearly describes the procedure.    I expected to find an executable command in the UI...perhaps in the Advanced > admin tab.   Did not find.   

Hold down times on the reset button seem very action specific.   I twice did a 60 second hold down of the reset button thinking that would default.    Does this only have the desired effect when a live ISP cable line is connected (did a little lite just go on up there in my brain?)?

Message 14 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7