Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighhawk CAX80 Mystery Wireless IP Address

Toby2006
Guide

Nighhawk CAX80 Mystery Wireless IP Address

Posted this in the Nighhawk Wifi 6 forum.  Recommeded I try here.

Under Attached Devices I show a device using IP address 192.168.1.235.  It's identified as a phone and connection type is 2.4G Wireless. 

If 2.4g disabled device goes away.  2.4g back on it reappears.  Power level does not appear to affect it. 

I have physically identified all wired and wireless devices but can't determine what this device is.

In the Admin Logs, it logs an event every ten minutes or so.  The count has been a high as 74 in one event.  Any idea what this could be or how to locate it?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighhawk CAX80 Mystery Wireless IP Address

Change the PW on the 2.4Ghz radio and see if that device connects or not or someone complains. You'll need to update wifi devices for this radio with new PW. 

Message 2 of 9
Toby2006
Guide

"Change the PW on the 2.4Ghz radio and see if that device connects or not or someone complains. You'll need to update wifi devices for this radio with new PW."

Can you explain what you mean by PW?  Password? 

The thought is to cahnge the WiFi password and see if it still connects?  If not I would need to update the password for all the connected devices to the new router password, correct? 

Message 3 of 9
Toby2006
Guide

Under Advanced/Admin Attached Devices I selected "Block" on that device.  It still shows activity.  Is changing the password the only way to completely remove the device from accessing the router?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes Password. 

Message 5 of 9
Toby2006
Guide

A bit more info.

Under Admin/Logs/  Include in Log, there are eleven possible event categories to log.  Only one that appears to cause events is:  Gateway Operation (startup, get time, etc).  Receive a log event every several minutes.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Has changing the password helped on this? 

Message 7 of 9
Toby2006
Guide

Thanks for asking.  Turned out not to be a password issue.

I did a web search on the offending device's Mac address.  Belongs to a China company.  Not surprising but concerning.  Did a search on the company's name.  Was associated with Shark vacuum robots, which I have one.  Being on the floor and under a bench, I completely overlooked it.

Looked in the app and sure enough, the mac address matched the mystery device.  Turned Off the vacuum and issue went away.

I did change the WiFi login password so I'll need to log in to the Vac app with the new password.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah good. Glad you figured it out. 

Enjoy. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation