Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk CAX30 AX2700 connection issues with DHCP and IP address reservations

iRyan
Star

Nighthawk CAX30 AX2700 connection issues with DHCP and IP address reservations

I've been experiencing severe connection issues with my Nighthawk CAX30 cable modem router. If I go into my device LAN setup under advanced settings and attempt to make any DHCP IP address reservations for my devices, every single device is then unable to connect to the CAX30 after it has rebooted. This goes for both wired and wireless connections!  Netgear also sent me a replacement after troubleshooting with both my ISP Comcast and Netgear support for 2+ hours over the phone. All other settings I change take effect without any issues! But as soon as I go into my advanced LAN setup and start adding IP address reservations for my devices, my CAX30 will not let anything connect (again, wired and wireless). I have even gone so far as to get on every single device, remove the network from device memory, manually reset network data, and fully reboot each one. Still won't let a single thing connect to it with fresh network settings! SOMETIMES a device will connect to the wireless SSID, but the network status will say it is connected without internet access just to disconnect again shortly after. If I'm lucky enough to get my Dell XPS laptop connected to my SSID long enough to revert DHCP settings and remove the address reservations, everything can connect normally again after settings are applied and the CAX30 reboots. This issue was present in both the original CAX30 I had purchased as well as the replacement that Netgear provided.

Here is all of my relevant information:

- Model Nighthawk CAX30 AX2700 cable modem router

- Hardware version 1.01

- Firmware version 1.4.10.8

- Cable firmware version 1.04.10

- CM certificate installed

- Windows 10 Home Version 21H1

- OS Build 19043.1081

I saw somewhere that this bug can be avoided by using only letters and numbers in your SSID password, but my PW has only always been letters/numbers and the issue still persists. I would GREATLY appreciate any help and feedback that anyone may have. Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
wildwilly
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk CAX30 AX2700 connection issues with DHCP and IP address reservations

I am having a similar problem with rebooting of my router causing all sorts of issues with being able to get all devices back online with IP addresses to obtain an internet connection. I would have to disconnect all devices power in my next work and then bring each one of them back on line one at a time to everything working again. This is a complete annoyance if I have to do this everytime to get my network back and running. I ended up putting a battery backup on my router so I hopefully never have to reboot my router but this is an unacceptable problem and I dont know if its some underlying issue with 40 devices hitting my router all at once and some combinations of IP requests are causing the router to just stop providing IP addresses. If you know of any fix for this condition please let me know. 

Message 2 of 14
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi wildwilly,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. May we know who is your internet provider? When did the issue start? What is the current firmware of your Netgear modem?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 3 of 14
iRyan
Star

I know you're addressing someone else's comment, but can I get a little help with my issue too? I created this post MONTHS ago, and have yet to get a response from Netgear. My issue has not gone away, and the CAX30 is in desperate need of a firmware update.
Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You might send @olympos1625 a PM to get there attention...

@iRyan wrote:
I know you're addressing someone else's comment, but can I get a little help with my issue too? I created this post MONTHS ago, and have yet to get a response from Netgear. My issue has not gone away, and the CAX30 is in desperate need of a firmware update.

Message 5 of 14
johnyhuh
Initiate

I don't know if this is related, but I have had the very similar problem. Not only that, the router was loading pages very slowly.

Here is what I did:

NTP setup, changed the timezone to the correct timezone. It was set to completely different TZ.

Updated NTP server to pool.ntp.org.

Once applyed, router become very responsive and DHCP issue disappeared.

Message 6 of 14
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @iRyan,

We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. We would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for a callback. Please DM the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (atleast 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Firmware version of the CAX30:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 7 of 14
dharris3
Tutor

I am having this exact same issue. Please update with resolution. Latest firmware offered no relief to the issue.
Message 8 of 14
iRyan
Star

@dharris3- I was never able to resolve the issue with reserving IP addresses in DHCP. Someone suggested to me a few months ago that manually assigning an NTP server to keep the CAX30's internal clock updated worked for them, but doing that didn't fix the issue for me personally. I gave up trying to reserve IP addresses for my devices and eventually ended up doing a factory reset on the CAX30, and now I just let the DHCP auto-assign them all so I can have working internet.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try setting a small default DHCP IP address pool size? Try 192.168.1.100 to .200 and see if IP Reservations work for you?

Message 10 of 14
iRyan
Star

Actually, that was one of the very first things that I tried and that made no difference. I'm confident this must be some sort of firmware issue, so it would be really nice if Netgear would release a firmware update for the CAX30. Especially considering the last update was almost a full year ago!

Message 11 of 14
KTVonATV
Aspirant

Do we have any updates for this issue? I have been having the DHCP problem since I purchased the CAX30 in Dec 2021. Netgear sent me out a new router in Mar 2022 with the exact same problem. 

I have tried the NTP setting.

I tried assigning IP addresses. The router ignores the assignment and just assigns an IP of its choosing.

Rebooting doesn't fix it for long.

Message 12 of 14
frnkboz
Aspirant

I have the same issue you are having with your CAX30; "Nighthawk CAX30 connection issues after reserving DHCP IP address reservations under LAN Setup". 

The only different is that my wired devices do connect to the router, but they can't access the internet and most of the wireless devices are unable to connect to the CAX30 after I start to reserve IP addresses.  

I provided the Level 2 technical support team all my logs and diagnostic information from my router for the engineering department to diagnose and they can't locate the issue with the device.   They also told me that none has reported the issue I'm experiencing with this router.  And just like you, the router works fine with working internet after I reset the device and I don't reserve IP addresses under LAN Setup.

Also,  Netgear replaced my router after I contacted support months ago about this issue, and the replacement router is having the same exact problem.   A new firmware was release on 9/2022 ( V.1.4.10.10) but it doesn't fix the connection issues when reserving addresses.    

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Passed this on to NG for review.

@DarrenM @olympos1625 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7