Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk CAX30S modem/router combo (DOCSIS 3.1 Dual Band WiFi 6 up to 2.7Gbps)

bosherboi
Star

Nighthawk CAX30S modem/router combo (DOCSIS 3.1 Dual Band WiFi 6 up to 2.7Gbps)

My ISP (XFINITY) currently supplies me with their Gigabit Extra Plan (Download speeds up to 1200mbps with Upload speeds up to 200mbps).

My old Motorola gateway modem/router combo cannot handle the speeds I currently have.

Therefore I need to upgrade my modem/router combo.

I am considering purchasing the Netgear Nighthawk CAX30S modem/router combo (DOCSIS 3.1 Dual Band WiFi 6 up to 2.7Gbps)

QUESTION:

1). Is the Nighthawk CAX30S the best fit for my current internet speeds (up to 1200Mbps download and up to 200Mbps upload)? If not what would be the best Netgear product fit?

2). Will my current DECO W7200 Mesh Router (2 units/one plugged into the modem/router itself downstairs and the other upstairs at the top of the stairs) work well with this Netgear modem/router combo?
Message 1 of 5
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk CAX30S modem/router combo (DOCSIS 3.1 Dual Band WiFi 6 up to 2.7Gbps)

@bosherboi wrote:
My ISP (XFINITY) currently supplies me with their Gigabit Extra Plan (Download speeds up to 1200mbps with Upload speeds up to 200mbps).

My old Motorola gateway modem/router combo cannot handle the speeds I currently have.

Therefore I need to upgrade my modem/router combo.

I am considering purchasing the Netgear Nighthawk CAX30S modem/router combo (DOCSIS 3.1 Dual Band WiFi 6 up to 2.7Gbps)

QUESTION:

1). Is the Nighthawk CAX30S the best fit for my current internet speeds (up to 1200Mbps download and up to 200Mbps upload)? If not what would be the best Netgear product fit?  No, not at this time.  Maybe in the future when or if the CAX30S receives a firmware upgrade to allow it to connect to the Next Gen network.

2). Will my current DECO W7200 Mesh Router (2 units/one plugged into the modem/router itself downstairs and the other upstairs at the top of the stairs) work well with this Netgear modem/router combo?  Only if your DECO device can be configured as a wired access point to connect to your gateway.  You will have to research the DECO documentation for that information.

The 1200/200 Mbps throughput speeds are part of the Xfinity Next Gen network.  It takes two pieces to make connection to that network and receive the upgraded speeds.

The first is your specific service address has to have been upgraded to connect to the Next Gen network.  That does not mean you live in a general area the mass e-mails address as in the Next Gen upgrade.  That is a one on one question you will need to ask Xfinity.  Direct specific question about your address with a yes or no answer.

The second piece is you have to lease a gateway from Xfinity that will handle the Next Gen network connection.  If you want to own your modem, you have to purchase one that is on the certified Next Gen list.  The certified Next Gen list is different from the list of recommended products for connection to their old network and does not include the CAX30S at this time.  The certified Next Gen list has only a few devices at this time.  You can expect more to be added, but their is no schedule or timeline.

More details are available here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/next-generation-internet/

Message 2 of 5
bosherboi
Star

Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I've been reading today where that model has some issues with buggy firmware!!!!!

Will stear clear of the CAX30S.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

THe CAX30 has stable FW for support ISP speed packages up to 1Gb. The CAX30 is not rated for ISP speed packages over 1Gb due to the LAN ports not supporting over 1000Mpbs. I have a CAX30 and it works very well on a 1Gb ISP line. If you have an ISP service over 1Gb, then the CAX80 will handle this as it has a multi-gig LAN port. 

Message 4 of 5
bosherboi
Star

I need to replace this Motorola 7550 Router which supports up to 300MBPS.

I need a DOCSIS 3.1 dual band for both WiFi 5 and 6.  My residence has not yet been upgraded to the Next Gen Network.

Can you please direct me to a modem/combo router (NetGear or other) that will handle my current throughput speeds that currently are 600/50 (advertised as 1200/200 by Xfinity)? Are there any you could recommend that are certified for the Next Gen that could still handle up to 800/100??? Will the CAX30S do the trick?

The previous poster (Kitsap) who also responded me on 1/13,  suggested that the CAX30S would not be a good purchase at this time until it receives a firmware update to allow it to connect to the Next Gen Network? Based on your previous answer of 1/13.24, it would appear that when this Next Gen Network is made available in town, I would need to upgrade to the CAX80 for over 1gb.

I need a new modem/roouter combo ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7