Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk CM1150

BobatEP
Aspirant

Nighthawk CM1150

How do I unlock port #2 on the CM1150V  to connect my RedLINK  internet gateway to the internet?  I've hardwired the two devices and an amber light appears on port #2.  I believe the next step is to unlock the port so it will allow the connection.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume if you connect the other device on WAN port#1 as a test that it will work after the modem is rebooted? 

Hopefully your ISP can allow a 2nd WAN IP to the modem. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Most ISP's only allow 1 device to be connected to a modem unless you're paying for extra public ip addresses or on a business class line. 

who's your isp? 

are you on a business class line or paying extra for more than 1 public ip address?

Message 2 of 14
BobatEP
Aspirant

Comcast. I contacted them and they told me all 4 ports could be used.  Nest gear says only one at a time.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What are you connected to Port#2? When you connect something to port #1 and #2, you need to either reboot the modem from the web page or power off the modem for 30 seconds then back on. If your ISP is allowing a WAN ip address to be assigned to the other ports, then the modem needs to reboot to make the change. 

Message 4 of 14
plemans
Guru

Its not that comcast is lying to you but you might have talked to someone who didn't know exactly what was going on for your device or account. 

I have comcast and can confirm they only support 1 device connected at time on a standard line. If you pay for extra public IP addresses or a business class line, then you can connect extra. 

Message 5 of 14
BobatEP
Aspirant

Tried rebooting, but it didn't solve the problem.  I will call Comcast support again to see if there is something else to try. 

Message 6 of 14
BobatEP
Aspirant

Forgot to mention that Port one is connected to a Google 3 device

Wifi mesh network (working perfectly. Latest network speed test results = 567Mbps dnload/17Mbps upload).  Unsure if that system connection would have any bearing on my port #2 problem.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What maybe happening is that WAN #2 isn't active or gets a IP address from your ISP as some ISPs don't allow more than 1 WAN IP address assigned any home modem. You would need to check with your ISP about this to see if this is supported at the ISP first. 

Message 8 of 14
BobatEP
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate your input.

I plan to try and speak with a more knowledgable support person at Comcast to find out if they support a second input to the Nighthawk CM1150.

I didn't have any problem connecting the Google three device mesh network to port one, however, the mesh network and gateway are two different technologies.  

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume if you connect the other device on WAN port#1 as a test that it will work after the modem is rebooted? 

Hopefully your ISP can allow a 2nd WAN IP to the modem. 

Message 10 of 14
BobatEP
Aspirant

I believe you are correct.  If Comcast will allow it, i'll be able to use port 2 to access the internet.

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

@BobatEP wrote:

I believe you are correct.  If Comcast will allow it, i'll be able to use port 2 to access the internet.

Comcast does allow it but you have to pay for a 2nd ip address (monthly) or a business class connection. 

Message 12 of 14
TrunkMonkey
Tutor

I've inquired about this as well and have found that since the 1150v is a modem only, no router, only port 1 is  active.  Not sure if going the Comcast business route or paying for a second IP or static IP pool will get you a second port or if Comcast would know how to enable the second port.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

All that would be needed is to give them the MAC address of the modem and reboot the modem once they give out a 2nd IP address. The modem should see a WAN IP address on the 2nd port after the reboot. You'll need either a wired PC or another router connected to the 2nd port to check the service. 

@TrunkMonkey wrote:

I've inquired about this as well and have found that since the 1150v is a modem only, no router, only port 1 is  active.  Not sure if going the Comcast business route or paying for a second IP or static IP pool will get you a second port or if Comcast would know how to enable the second port.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7