Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Multi-gig ethernet port dropping

GACuban
Star

Thanks for reporting this test.  I am not sure if turning off the 2.4 Ghz band will do the trick also (leaving 5 Ghz on).  That was the last thing NG support told me to try as a test.

Message 26 of 85
JJDizz1L
Star

At this point, I would give up on that thing. We did not pay for EITHER OR, we paid for BOTH. Get rid of that thing on eBay for like half the price and get the Motorola MG8725. It's great on the other side of the fence. I promise.

Message 27 of 85
GACuban
Star

I can (and will) still return in to Amazon for full refund.  So, hopefully this nightmare will be over soon.  I still wish there was a solution by the NG team, but it may just be a hardware problem they can't solve with software and are just keeping quiet about it.

Message 28 of 85
My_Username
Guide

Possibly inadequate thermal design?

A search of the FCC ID number will bring up the acceptance report containing internal photos. The cable modem and radios will generate some heat and they are under a good sized heatsink. That heatsink does heat the internal air and the radios will also dump some heat into the board.

The ethernet interfaces are fairly high on the board with the 2.5G interface near the top. These IC's do not have heatsinks and are located in the warmest convection air. Increases in temperature generally raise internal resistances and slow signal edges.

I'll propose an experiment for anyone willing:

Elevate a computer fan slightly so it can pull air from below and blow upward.

Set the CAX80 on the fan. Maybe mask the open fan area to the sides of the CAX80 if you feel adventurous.

Turn on wifi and wait to see if the multi gig port can support 2.5GHz.

I may dig through my parts bin to see if I have an appropriate heatsink and test that.

Message 29 of 85
My_Username
Guide

Update:

The good news is that I found a suitable heatsink.

The bad news is that component QVP2014R is a signal coupling transformer and not likely suffering heat stress. I still suspect marginal thermal design but the components of interedt are under a shield which is under the heatsink on the warm upper end of the board.

The fan might be worth a try - or the Motorola.

Message 30 of 85
GACuban
Star

I tried to use the Motorola MG8725 competitor, but it seems like a toy compared to the CAX80.  The WiFi range on the Motorola is really bad....really bad.  The weight difference also seems to indicate some difference in material quality---the Nighthawk is significantly heavier and better suited to stay standing.

So, I cannot use the Motorola and really do like the Nighthawk despite the multi-gig port problem.  Maybe I can live with that issue, given all the "pros" it has when compared to the Motorola.

Message 31 of 85
JJDizz1L
Star

From what I noticed; the mobile app is not great for configuring your network. What you should do is log in to your router from a computer's browser and manually set it up. There you will be able to split the bands and choose which wave lengths are appropriate for your home. For example, I have my 2.4GHz band on 20MHz and I have my 5GHz band on 160MHz. I also have my two separate bands with two separate names so I can choose which Wi-Fi I wish to be on rather than let the device choose for me.

To log in on your browser, the username and password is written on a paper on the router itself. 

Message 32 of 85
GACuban
Star

Thanks.  Yes, I did go into the browser interface (always like that better than any app).  But as I mentioned, devices that were farther away from the MG8725 were receiving very little signal (even on 2.4 GHz) with the router in the same location as the CAX80.  So, I think there has to be some transmit power difference between the two units.

Message 33 of 85
JJDizz1L
Star

Screenshot 2022-05-18 154144.pngAttached is a photo showing you the advanced menu. Under Wireless, you can choose to disable Band Steering, which chooses for your Wi-Fi connected devices which GHz band signal to connect to. Be sure to name your Network Name (SSID) different from your 2.4GHz connection. The Bandwidth is what you're having issue with. If you want it to be faster, you need to put it on a higher Mhz. It comes at a cost of less distance. Adversely, if you want more distance (and less mbps/speed), you should choose lower Mhz, such as 20Mhz. 

Message 34 of 85
Homeautoguy
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  Anyone no one how to fix this?

Message 35 of 85
GACuban
Star

Yes, I agree.

They said they would replace my unit, but what's the point?  They don't even have any to send right now due to shortage (or they know it won't do anything to fix the multi-gig port issue).

I had a great router, so I disabled the WiFi on the CAX80 and it seems to behave well that way.  AT&T is supposed to bury fiber here in the next months, so maybe that will be my out too.

Message 36 of 85
jasmc5000
Tutor

Any update on this issue? I've had the nighthawk for a month now and love everything about it minus the 2.5gig port dropping to 1gig.
Message 37 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you have connected to the 2.5Gb port? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? 

Modem in router mode?

What FW are you using? 

@jasmc5000 wrote:
Any update on this issue? I've had the nighthawk for a month now and love everything about it minus the 2.5gig port dropping to 1gig.

Message 38 of 85
jasmc5000
Tutor

Desktop computer wit 2.5 gig realtek nic latest drivers.

What CAT# lan cable are you using? 

I've tried cat6, cat7 and currently cat8. The cat8 seems to do a little better but still drops out multiple times a day. 

Modem in router mode?

Yes the Modem is in router mode. I'm currently using it as a gateway for xfinity  gig pro plan. When light is blue I can constantly get speeds around 1400/40 when it is white I'm capped at under 1 gig

What FW are you using? 

Firmware 2.1.3.5. I was under the assumption that xfinity handles the firmware updates. 

Message 39 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the cables UTP or STP? STP is recommended CAT6A STP on the multi-gig port.

For CAX80 users, can update FW for the router portion of the unit. You might try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/New-CAX80-Firmware-Version-2-1-4-2-Released/td...

Message 40 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

v2.1.4.2 does not fix the issue. Since I only paid 40 bux used for the thing I have no problem disabling the wifi and using one of my wifi 6 routers as an AP for wifi. Have not dropped the Multi-Gig port since

Message 41 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What CAT# lan cable are you using? Are the cables UTP or STP? STP is recommended. CAT6A STP on the multi-gig port.

@Dumaine wrote:

v2.1.4.2 does not fix the issue. Since I only paid 40 bux used for the thing I have no problem disabling the wifi and using one of my wifi 6 routers as an AP for wifi. Have not dropped the Multi-Gig port since

Message 42 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

Cable is cat 6a STP connected to either my 2.5Gbe Realtek or Asus XG-C100C 10G, either way the issue still exists....

Message 43 of 85
jasmc5000
Tutor

Firmware v2.1.4.2 and cat 8 cable has eliminated the issue for me. I've been steady with multigig blue and testing in the 1300 Mbps consistently. The first few days it would drop down to single gig about once a day but that stabilized. Installing the firmware was tedious with a few factory resets needed to complete the task. 

Message 44 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

I just might try a cat8 one day

Message 45 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru
Dumaine
Tutor

Thanks, will check it out soon

Message 47 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

New firmware installed....will advise!!

Message 48 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 49 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

About 21 hours uptime and no issues on the multigig port so far. Speedtests are normal with 1439/44  on the 1200 plan. So far so good!!

Message 50 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7