Guru

Re: CAX80 Multi-gig ethernet port dropping

Great info. Thank you...Let us know. 

Looks like I might update mine as well. 🤔

Message 76 of 85
billg118
Guide

When I started having this issue I broke my own cardinal rule of "try the easy stuff first".

I thought there was no way this could be caused by the cat 8 Ethernet cable I bought less than a year ago right?

Well the jokes on me because I had a big brain moment last night and thought "Its not the cable but maybe I should try switching the cable." Lo and behold it was the cable.

I've been using a different cat 8 cable (same brand) and its been working flawlessly with 0 connection drops for 2 days. So IMO this is fixed on my side. Seems like whatever problem OP was having is not the same problem I had.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting help.

Message 77 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Good find. Ya, not all cables are done well. Could be the little things. 

Glad you figured it out. 

Ya I've not seen any problems on the CAX80 with wifi enabled and my 2.5Gb ethernet connected pc to the MG port. Working fine here. 

I think for some these other branded adapters or higher speed adapters, 10Gb, could maybe be effected by wifi signals being enabled. My CAX80 is 25 feet away from my PC. Possible being too close with this particular ethernet adapters could be seeing noise and interferences. Users would need to try something else. I would try Intel or Realtek based and 2.5Gb only speed adapters with them connected to the CAX80. 

And be sure to use good quality and good working CAT#A STP cabling. Been using 6A for years, zero problems.

Message 78 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

There is new FW available as well.

@Mellojosh wrote:
Thank you to everyone who keeps reporting this issue. I am still several months in with no resolution in sight. I have had wifi disabled going on a month now and the 2.5gb port functions great. Last week I needed to upgrade all my APs to something different and turned the CAX80 wifi back on temporarily to avoid wifi interruption and almost instantly the 2.5gb port failed and dropped to 1gb. After replacing APs, I disabled the wifi again and port is operating correctly. So it's still a choice right now, wifi or 2.5gb port, still won't work at the same time consistently.

Message 79 of 85
pitchshifter
Aspirant

Adding here, this happens on Mac connected via Caldigit TS4 as well (with latest NG firmware 2.1.5.2), except the connection doesn't go to 1GB, but just drops entirely - multi gig light goes out, connection goes dead. Resetting Caldigit or re-plugging LAN cable has no effect.

Having read this forum, astonishingly disabling and re-enabling WiFI fixes the issue, thanks for that. Nice to be able to fix it temporarily without having to reset the whole router.

Message 80 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What CAT# lan cable are you using between this dock device and the multi gig port? CAT6A STP is recommended. 

@pitchshifter wrote:

Adding here, this happens on Mac connected via Caldigit TS4 as well (with latest NG firmware 2.1.5.2), except the connection doesn't go to 1GB, but just drops entirely - multi gig light goes out, connection goes dead. Resetting Caldigit or re-plugging LAN cable has no effect.

Having read this forum, astonishingly disabling and re-enabling WiFI fixes the issue, thanks for that. Nice to be able to fix it temporarily without having to reset the whole router.

Message 81 of 85
pitchshifter
Aspirant

10Gb cat 7. I didn't come on here to add a voice of support to the fact there's actually a serious issue if I was just using too slow a cable 😝 same cable worked fine at 2.5gb the past 2 years with my Xfinity modem.
Message 82 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

So is the CAT7 cable UTP or STP? There is a difference. 

Message 83 of 85
pitchshifter
Aspirant

Yes, STP. But even if it was UTP, if it's never dropped once with my previous modem at those speeds for 2.5 years, and now happens all the time with the new one, this indicates an issue with the new modem, even if that issue is with error handling. I shouldn't -need- to change all my already-above-spec-and-previously-working cable in this scenario... I'll give a different one a try though.
Message 84 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to open a support ticket with NG then:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/about/contact-us/

@pitchshifter wrote:
Yes, STP. But even if it was UTP, if it's never dropped once with my previous modem at those speeds for 2.5 years, and now happens all the time with the new one, this indicates an issue with the new modem, even if that issue is with error handling. I shouldn't -need- to change all my already-above-spec-and-previously-working cable in this scenario... I'll give a different one a try though.

Message 85 of 85
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7