Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router firewalls

shanogg
Aspirant

Router firewalls

I have a Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router. Model number is C7100V. Firmware version is V2.01.45

Everything works fine except Mysa digital thermostats. Diagnostic run that says the following seems to be problem:

Firewall TC Port 80 needs to be unblocked

Client isolation needs to be disabled.

Sadly, I have no idea how to do this. I would be most grateful for any help with this. I hate not having control of these

thermostats when away from home.

Thanks, from a little old lady that is often called a "walking computer virus" by friends.

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@shanogg wrote:

I have a Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router. Model number is C7100V. Firmware version is V2.01.45

Everything works fine except Mysa digital thermostats. Diagnostic run that says the following seems to be problem:

Firewall TC Port 80 needs to be unblocked

Client isolation needs to be disabled.

Sadly, I have no idea how to do this. I would be most grateful for any help with this. I hate not having control of these

thermostats when away from home.

Thanks, from a little old lady that is often called a "walking computer virus" by friends.

When you are at home and connected to your 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band, do you have access to your Mysa thermostats?

When you are away from home and your phone is connected to cell data, the only way you can safely access your thermostats is through a VPN connection.

Message 2 of 4
shanogg
Aspirant

When you are at home and connected to your 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band, do you have access to your Mysa thermostats? 

No, I don't. That's the problem. Mysa support said that the diagnostic I ran for them shows the following:

Remove or unblock Firewall TC Port80 on router

Disable Client isolation

I have no idea how to do either.

When you are away from home and your phone is connected to cell data, the only way you can safely access your thermostats is through a VPN connection.

I am unable to access thermostats on phone.

None of this was a problem when I had a Comcast Router. Only started when I purchased Netgear Router Modem. Everything else, TVs, Alexa work fine.

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@shanogg wrote:

No, I don't. That's the problem. Mysa support said that the diagnostic I ran for them shows the following:

Remove or unblock Firewall TC Port80 on router

Disable Client isolation

I have no idea how to do either.

I am unable to access thermostats on phone.

None of this was a problem when I had a Comcast Router. Only started when I purchased Netgear Router Modem. Everything else, TVs, Alexa work fine.

Go to the top of this page and download the manual for your C7100V.  Page numbers below reference to that manual.

In the configuration of your C7100V, make certain your have separate SSID’s for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands.  Start on page 81.  The -5G indicates the 5 GHz band.  The 2.4 GHz band does not have the -5G suffix at the end of the SSID name.

When in the Mysa configuration application, if you try to connect to the Guest Wi-Fi, you will have to go back to the C7100V configuration and check the box to allow guests to see each other and access the local network.  One check box for each Wi-Fi band.  See page 84.  This has to do with enabling client association.

When you make changes to your C7100V, it is good practice to power down the device and boot it up fresh before testing the results.

Normally port 80 is not blocked on the firewall and you would have to go through some specific configuration steps to block it.

I found the Mysa configuration application to be picky and it took several attempts to successfully configure the thermostat to connect to the home Wi-Fi and add the thermostat to my Mysa account.  Since you changed complete modem/router devices, the thermostat may have to be reset and configured from scratch.  Mysa technical support is where you will get guidance for that process.

Are you using the Mysa configuration application on an Apple phone?  I used an Android phone to configure my thermostats.  The Apple devices have some privacy settings that can cause problems with the configuration applications.

There is a significant technical difference between connecting to your thermostats when you are at home and your phone is connected to your home Wi-FI and when you are away from home and your phone is connected to cell data or public Wi-Fi.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7