Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router wifi settings gone after power outage

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck.


@KAHUNA757575 wrote:

I put it at the bottom of what I wrote(it may not have shown up)..Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router


 

Message 76 of 91
Coben67
Aspirant

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Nighthawk AX2700 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX30S)

 

I have been experiencing the same as many of you, power off restart or power outage and all my Wi-Fi settings are *poof* gone!   I bought this router after a bit of research and on reputation.  Apparently I didn't do enough research.  Shame on me.   I guess Netgear rep is worthless now.   

Others have mentioned an OpenWRT fix, will this work for my AX2700?   I really wish I could return it to Bestbuy.

Message 77 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Usually 3rd party FW isn't supported on modem gateways. 

Have you been in contact with NG support? 


@Coben67 wrote:

Nighthawk AX2700 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX30S)

 

I have been experiencing the same as many of you, power off restart or power outage and all my Wi-Fi settings are *poof* gone!   I bought this router after a bit of research and on reputation.  Apparently I didn't do enough research.  Shame on me.   I guess Netgear rep is worthless now.   

Others have mentioned an OpenWRT fix, will this work for my AX2700?   I really wish I could return it to Bestbuy.


 

Message 78 of 91

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Unifi all the way baby! Never looked back. Well worth the spend. 

Message 79 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Has a full factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

What FW version are you using? 

 


@Coben67 wrote:

Nighthawk AX2700 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX30S)

 

I have been experiencing the same as many of you, power off restart or power outage and all my Wi-Fi settings are *poof* gone!   I bought this router after a bit of research and on reputation.  Apparently I didn't do enough research.  Shame on me.   I guess Netgear rep is worthless now.   

Others have mentioned an OpenWRT fix, will this work for my AX2700?   I really wish I could return it to Bestbuy.


 

Message 80 of 91
Coben67
Aspirant

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Reset - Yes.  Although that shouldn't matter since I only purchased it less than 2 months ago.  It lost all it's settings 3x, after the 2nd I did a complete reset to default settings. 

Firmware 1.4.10.8

 

No, I have not contacted Netgear support.  9 times out of 10 support will blame another entity.  IE Microsoft will blame Dell, Dell will blame Microsoft and the end user is left holding the bag.  Skipping the increased blood pressure, I asked the hive mind. 

Message 81 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

You should do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Reloading this would help bring back the wifi if that happens. 

 

You need to contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. If NG doesn't know about these issues from users, then might not get fixed. NG doesn't watch these forums. 

Message 82 of 91
djcushing
Aspirant

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Same issue just hit me.  I have had the RBR50 router and one satellite in the same setup for since early 2019.  I cannot begin to guess how many times I have unplugged the router to reset it when troubleshooting an internet connection or speed issue. At least 50 times, and maybe another 20 or so timnes that the power has gone out anywhere from one second to several hours.  And it has NEVER failed to boot up with all of the wifi settings intact.  Until today.  I flipped a breaker the router is connected to, and when I turned it back on my entire setup was gone.  I think the only two possibilities are NVRAM failure or a problem with the last firmware update.  Is there any one out there that has an RBR50 with the latest firmware (v. 2.7.3.22) and can turn off the power and then back on and NOT lose their wifi setup?  If so, that would rule out the firmware, and that would then tell me that it is an internal component faiure that is not going to go away, and i need to replace my router.    

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 83 of 91
Jjoshrtca
Guide

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

@Furry, you keep saying the same thing. Reset. That’s not the problem. We’ve discovered the problem in this thread iirc. The problem is that Netgear used cheapo nand flash memory for their rom (on a FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR MODEM ROUTER!) and it craps out if there are a lot of read writes like there would be with nas and ftp and verbose logging and all the other features you can’t use on this pos router! I turned those off on my THIRD buy and return ropa dope that I had to keep pulling at Best Buy to you know be able to work and take classes online and watch Netflix and look stuff up on the web and generally just LIVE in todays world without being out a modem router for however long the warranty process takes and the device works great now that all those read write heavy features are permanently turned off. Please stop telling people to waste time resetting their device. Netgear needs to recall this pos product and make things right!
Message 84 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC/AX products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Please make a new post there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear


Thank you.


@djcushing wrote:

Same issue just hit me.  I have had the RBR50 router and one satellite in the same setup for since early 2019.  I cannot begin to guess how many times I have unplugged the router to reset it when troubleshooting an internet connection or speed issue. At least 50 times, and maybe another 20 or so timnes that the power has gone out anywhere from one second to several hours.  And it has NEVER failed to boot up with all of the wifi settings intact.  Until today.  I flipped a breaker the router is connected to, and when I turned it back on my entire setup was gone.  I think the only two possibilities are NVRAM failure or a problem with the last firmware update.  Is there any one out there that has an RBR50 with the latest firmware (v. 2.7.3.22) and can turn off the power and then back on and NOT lose their wifi setup?  If so, that would rule out the firmware, and that would then tell me that it is an internal component faiure that is not going to go away, and i need to replace my router.    





Message 85 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Resets ARE and always will be a troubleshooting step for any kind of support problem. Its up to you users to try it out or not. It's also your resposibility to make contact with NG support and let them know what your problems are. NG doesn't have clairivoiance knowledge to know what is happening to users and there products. Not everyone has the same problem nor same configurations. All we do here is to help narrow down problems when usres post here in the forums as best as we can, which does include Factory Resets. If all troubleshooting has been exhausted here in the forums with no resolution, then users have to make contact with NG support and escalate it. If you read thru the thread and you don't find a solution and you see that it points to contacting NG support then you can presume that the issue can't be solved here in the forums. So you'll need to contact NG support:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

 

I post how I see fit!!!

 

And you don't need a modem router combo to get internet services. You can use a separate modem and router combination which for other users works just as well and offers better flexibility in managing your network and devices and the modem or router itself. Modem/Router combo units are a conveience product for those who may not want separate units. 

 

Thank you. 


@Jjoshrtca wrote:
@Furry, you keep saying the same thing. Reset. That’s not the problem. We’ve discovered the problem in this thread iirc. The problem is that Netgear used cheapo nand flash memory for their rom (on a FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR MODEM ROUTER!) and it craps out if there are a lot of read writes like there would be with nas and ftp and verbose logging and all the other features you can’t use on this pos router! I turned those off on my THIRD buy and return ropa dope that I had to keep pulling at Best Buy to you know be able to work and take classes online and watch Netflix and look stuff up on the web and generally just LIVE in todays world without being out a modem router for however long the warranty process takes and the device works great now that all those read write heavy features are permanently turned off. Please stop telling people to waste time resetting their device. Netgear needs to recall this pos product and make things right!

 

Message 86 of 91
roadtest
Aspirant

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

My last netgear wiki router was purchased in 2006 and it was working flawlessly for several years. Then 

i bought this router Jan, 2021 and start experiencing this configuration lost  almost every time, whether power outage or i powered off the router. i called support line several times.  The representative is kind, but can't provide any useful advices. 

 

Definite a stop sign to continue using Netgear to build my mesh network. Very disappointed customer. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 87 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

You'll need to contact NG support:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx


@roadtest wrote:

My last netgear wiki router was purchased in 2006 and it was working flawlessly for several years. Then 

i bought this router Jan, 2021 and start experiencing this configuration lost  almost every time, whether power outage or i powered off the router. i called support line several times.  The representative is kind, but can't provide any useful advices. 

 

Definite a stop sign to continue using Netgear to build my mesh network. Very disappointed customer. 


 

Message 88 of 91
GPDF
Aspirant

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

I bought my netgear nightgawk cax30 modem/router less than a year ago at Costco, or maybe I got it at Best Buy. If I got it at Costco I'll try to return it. Since I got it I had nothing but problems. This past Thursday (07-28-22) I had a power outrage at my place for about two hours. I'll my configurations were gone. Some equipaments could conect with the old default password, others didn't. I made up my mind to reinstall my old Motorola modem/router Arris SURFboard SBG6782-AC that didn't give me any hard time, even with power outrage.
The only reason that I switched was to get WiFi 6.
After reading most of this conversation thread here I made up to my mind to reinstall my old Motorola moden/router Arris SURFboard SBG6782-AC that never gave me a hard time, even in an event of power outrage. The only reason I switched modems was to get WiFi 6. I totally lost the confidence on Netgear brand.
Message 89 of 91
GFNV
Tutor

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

UPS's fail too.  Why would a power drop reset to factory?

Message 90 of 91
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Hi @GFNV,

 

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the modem. Did you try contacting our Support team over the phone? May we have the serial number of the modem?

 

 I am looking forward to your response.

 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team


 

Message 91 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7