Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch & 2 hardwired Apple Airport Extremes

Follower

Switch & 2 hardwired Apple Airport Extremes

Having trouble with my switch and Airport Extremes...what goes into what?

I have Comcast Modem  --- > Airport Extreme  ---- > Netgear Switch ----> Airport Extreme2 (wired with Cat5 to other part of my house).  

When I do this I seem to run into some issues with the Airport Extreme2.  Should the 2nd Airport Extreme be plugged into the first one or can it be plugged into the Switch as well without issue?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Switch & 2 hardwired Apple Airport Extremes

Hello 3264760

Is the comcast Modem just a modem and not a router/modem combo? if it has a router you need to bridge it and make it a modem only then the second Airport needs to be set to be a Access point or have the DHCP disabled. you only want one device doing the routing to avoid conflicts.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
netwrks
Master

Re: Switch & 2 hardwired Apple Airport Extremes

With the Comcast bridged, the first Airport Extreme will need to handle DHCP duties, and, as mentioned, the second Airport will need to be set up in AP mode. If the Comcast ( is a router / modem combo and stays in router mode - cannot be bridged), then, there is probably at least double NATTing going on, and, in this case, both extremes would need to be configured for AP mode to avoid conflicts and performance issues. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7