Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Turn the Nighthawk CAX80 into a Modem only

LitteGratz
Aspirant

Turn the Nighthawk CAX80 into a Modem only

CAX80 - Nighthawk® AX8/8-Stream WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router

How do I set it up the CAX80 as just a Modem? My House is just to big and I want to do a Mesh Wifi system and use the unit as Modem only (no Wi-fi and no router)

Thanks,

Rob

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Richard1864
Luminary

I’ve got the CAX80, and I’m using the EAX80 extender. When connected to the CAX80, it can be set up as a mesh network. The EAX80 works quite well, and covers more than 3,000 square of my house with ease.

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/eax80/

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the CAX80 is a quite powerful router. 

I'd actually leave it in router mode and put the mesh system in access point mode. 

then just have the CAX80 use a different channel/ssid to prevent interference. 

That'd allow you to have both a backup wifi network as well as offload a few devices from the mesh system. 

Message 2 of 6
LitteGratz
Aspirant

@plemans Thanks for the suggestion.

So if I use an Orbi Mesh System I can set each unit into Access Point mode? I have used Orbi in the past and I do not remember that option.

Let me know if this is a question for a different forum.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
Richard1864
Luminary

I’ve got the CAX80, and I’m using the EAX80 extender. When connected to the CAX80, it can be set up as a mesh network. The EAX80 works quite well, and covers more than 3,000 square of my house with ease.

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/eax80/
Message 4 of 6
LitteGratz
Aspirant

Thanks @Richard1864 

Not sure how I missed seeing this item. I am very happy with the CAX80 and its Wi-Fi performance is very good as compared to what I have had in the past but it didn't do it with a 5,000 Sq Ft home, in some areas the signal was just week. Then add a couple gaming kids and you hear about it.

I will try this solution and since it is mesh I can always add 2 extenders if I need.

Rob

Message 5 of 6
Richard1864
Luminary

No problem! :). I missed it too when I first got the CAX80, and then saw the EAX80 in Target of all places! Thought I’d give it a try, and I’ve been very pleased with it.

Now if I could just get my 19 month old kitten to stop eating Ethernet cables, it would be perfect.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7