Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why Did This Fix Work?

phaedruspress
Aspirant

Why Did This Fix Work?

I connect to the computer and the television by Ethernet cable. Yesterday for no apparent reason while the computer/ modem - router connection was still solid when I went to stream SlingTV nothing. I got that message that Ethernet was not connected and I know damn well it was just as it has been for the past 2 weeks. In fact it showed that the Ethernet was connected in one of the blurbs but there was no hand shaking going on. Wifi did not work either even though I never use it but when I tried it would not connect. I was getting really pissed off and after a number of steps troubleshooting (on my own) I was thisclose to taking advanatage of Costco's lenient return policy. I had tried different Ethenet cables and different ports on the unit but nothing as well as shuting everything down for an hour and then over night. I was just about to call up support which is almost always a nightmare (chat was useless on another earlier question which after giving the rep a bad rating I received an email explaining what the problem was though by that time I had GOOGLED the answer myself)  It wasn't until I folllowed these directions that brought it back to life. Unplug modem - router, TV. Do not disconnect any Ethernet cables. Plug in modem - router first and wait for connections to lite up. Well that did it. Ethernet -> TV -> modem - router were talking to each other again. So I am an idiot and would like to know why this partiuclar solution kick started the Ehternet connection again. Kiss of death posting this. TIA.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Why Did This Fix Work?

Something maybe got hung up on the TV or router. 

What NG product are you referring too? Is this a NG cable modem with built in router? 

Message 2 of 10
phaedruspress
Aspirant

>Something maybe got hung up on the TV or router.

Hmm. Well this one sure casused me quite a bit of aggravation. 

>What NG product are you referring too? Is this a NG cable modem with built in router? 

When I had the opportunity to post the question I was asked in one of the fields, "Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)" and I answered (just as I did here again) "NETGEAR - Nighthawk CAX30 AX2700"

I wonder why it didn't take when I posed my question. Thanks for responding BTW.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try configuring a IP address reservation for the TV on the modems web page under Advanced Tab/Settings/LAN Setup.

Message 4 of 10
phaedruspress
Aspirant

>Try configuring a IP address reservation for the TV on the modems web page under Advanced Tab/Settings/LAN Setup.

Sorry, not entirely sure what you mean by "configuring a IP address reservation."

Is that like a backup in case I exerience the same problem again? 

Here is a picture and I am not sure if this is what you are referring to. My apologies but I have no idea if any of that info already filled out in some of the fields should not be divulged so I erased it. The bottom part of the picture where it says Use Router As... a lot of those number while there they are also greyed out and I did not want to see if I could add anything. I am a firm believer in if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing : )

Image 1.jpg

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Select the ADD button, next screen you should see a list of devices. The TV should be listed there. Select it to add the reservation.

Message 6 of 10
phaedruspress
Aspirant

>Select the ADD button, next screen you should see a list of devices. The TV should be listed there. Select it to add the reservation.

Copy that. I looked there and I don't see the TV but the TV is not on at the moment nor is the Ethenet cable from the TV connected to the back of the modem/ router so I'm hoping that's because the televison is not on. I'll let you know later tonight or tomorrow what happens once I connect the television. Thanks for your continued help.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

When the TV is ON, it should appear in the list. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
phaedruspress
Aspirant

>When the TV is ON, it should appear in the list

Yes, sir there it was. I also saw the notebook there as well. Should I add the notebook too?

Before adding the Television I need to change the name since there was a pop up teling me that "Character is not allowed in the device name Sony-55" TV"

I see fields for IP address which is auto filled in as well as the MAC address and below that an opportunity to edit out the characters in the television name.

I beleive I know that the MAC address is constant but it did not occur to me before to mention that I use a VPN 90% of the time I am online and I frequuently change different servers. If I lock in the current IP address right now won't that cause a problem should I fire up a different server later today or sometime in the future? TIA.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@phaedruspress wrote:

>When the TV is ON, it should appear in the list

Yes, sir there it was. I also saw the notebook there as well. Should I add the notebook too? You can.

Before adding the Television I need to change the name since there was a pop up teling me that "Character is not allowed in the device name Sony-55" TV"

Remove the (") so hame it SonyTV instead. That field doesn't like special characters. 

I see fields for IP address which is auto filled in as well as the MAC address and below that an opportunity to edit out the characters in the television name.

I beleive I know that the MAC address is constant but it did not occur to me before to mention that I use a VPN 90% of the time I am online and I frequuently change different servers. If I lock in the current IP address right now won't that cause a problem should I fire up a different server later today or sometime in the future? No it should not. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7