Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xfinity Says CM1200 Not Compatible

Automator59
Tutor

Xfinity Says CM1200 Not Compatible

I just received an email from Xfinity that my CM1200 cable modem is incompatible.  The only details they give are "incompatible based on filters."  I'm not sure what that means, but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.  The modem has been in service since 10/2015 and does pretty well with my 1GB service.  Is it possible I need to do an update to the device, or has Xfinity changed something that it will no longer be optimal?

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: Xfinity Says CM1200 Not Compatible

@Automator59 wrote:

I just received an email from Xfinity that my CM1200 cable modem is incompatible.  The only details they give are "incompatible based on filters."  I'm not sure what that means, but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.  The modem has been in service since 10/2015 and does pretty well with my 1GB service.  Is it possible I need to do an update to the device, or has Xfinity changed something that it will no longer be optimal?

Do not let your mind or your checkbook become a victim of the hype. Most likely the devices on your local area network connect via 1 Gbps Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Comcast just wants to enhance the revenue stream from their gateway rental segment.

Your DOCSIS 3.1 modem will provide you with ample throughput capacity for many years.

Message 2 of 4
Automator59
Tutor

Yep, when I finally got to speak to someone at Xfinity, they started by trying to get me to rent their modem. That wasn't going to happen!  They couldn't explain the "filtering" issue and just said to contact Netgear to see if it was compatible.  I told them it had worked fine for seven years at the 1GB subscription, although I ha, but ve seen the hardwire speed of the CM1200 is 966GB, but that won't affect me anyway.  If they had really changed something and I needed another modem, I would buy another one, but I am waiting for DOCSIS 4.0 to come out and go down a little in price or at least have a couple of updates.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The Cm1200 is a solid modem. If you keep it on the 1Gb plan it will work just fine until they stop supporting 3.1. That won't before a long while. I love mine. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series