Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: changed modems, speed got capped at 100mbps

MountainAresUK
Aspirant

changed modems, speed got capped at 100mbps

I haven't been able to find the same issue already present in the community, so here it goes...

My ISP changed my old router for a new model, that's when the problems started, my netgear switch had been working fine for almost 1 year before this change. I checked and on the new router it only passes through 80-90mbps internet connection to the connected devices, when on the wifi and with the cable connected directly into the router I manage to achieve around 250-300mbps.

I reconnected the old router and tested, the switch passes through the regural internet speeds of 250-300mbps, but now the ISP has deactivated the old modem/router and I am stuck. I have one of my access points and my work computer connected to this switch so it causes a big problem for the general wifi speed around the house.

Have been researching if there is something I can manually do to clear the cache, fludh the dns, reset the ip tables, but since its an unmanaged switch it doesnt even have an option of updating firmware and it is driving me crazy.

Are the netgear switches made so they break if you put them in another network? changing a modem/router hardware with literally the same configs as the old ones should not have any impact in performance whatsoever, but that's what I am having to deal with, and it is all 8 ports like that, though my PC shows it is connected with a 1gbps speed on the network adapter I ams till getting less of an internet connection then if I just bin the switch and put the cable directly onto it.

Also did a test with a cheap borrowed gigabit switch from a friend and it works like a charm.

Anyone else has had the same problem? any ideas?

Thank you.

Model: GS308|8 ports gigabits unmanaged switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
MountainAresUK
Aspirant

Well that's a bit disappointing...

I already had figured out it was the switch, should it be anything else I would not come to the NG community, rather would do some further troubleshooting.

So It's either NG warranty or not NGs problem at all? Why would the support site point towards the community as a way to find a solution to the problem? 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What router/modem do you have? 

How is it setup

modem model----->router model----->switch?

have you checked the cables to ensure you have good quality cat 5e or > cables?

Message 2 of 6
MountainAresUK
Aspirant

modem/router: cgnv4-fx4 Hitron previous one was a HUB3.0 from virgin media.

switch: gs308

As I already mentioned on my post, yes cables have been tested and are in perfect condition, so much that if I remove the Netgear switch from the equation I have no problem.

Problem has already been narrowed down to the switch (nothing else), I just need to know if there is a fix or I need netgear to replace it as per my warranty.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you feel it's the switch then you'll need to contact NG support. There is nothing else that we can do for you here in the forums. 

Be sure to visit and post about this over in the Switch forum as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches-Forum/bd-p/business-unmanaged-switches

Good Luck

Message 4 of 6
MountainAresUK
Aspirant

Well that's a bit disappointing...

I already had figured out it was the switch, should it be anything else I would not come to the NG community, rather would do some further troubleshooting.

So It's either NG warranty or not NGs problem at all? Why would the support site point towards the community as a way to find a solution to the problem? 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Its something NG likes to provide and point users too for for help and informaiton. Sometimes troubles can be fixed with help and information in the forums. For HW problems, you need to contact NG support directly and star an RMA process with them.

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7