Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

confused password problems CAX80

Retired_Member
Not applicable

confused password problems CAX80

Greetings, Recently I changed my Netgear password, but when I use 192.168.1.1 it will only accept my old password although when I check 192.168.1.1 "wireless settings" the passwords are the new password not the old password I needed to open 192.168.1.1. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Lou F.

Firmware V2.1.3.7

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: confused password problems CAX80

So your changing the wifi SSID password? 

Have you set the wifi devices them selves to forget the wifi network then reboot and try to re-connect to the modems wifi? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

So your changing the wifi SSID password? 

Have you set the wifi devices them selves to forget the wifi network then reboot and try to re-connect to the modems wifi? 

Message 2 of 8

@Retired_Member wrote:

Greetings, Recently I changed my Netgear password, but when I use 192.168.1.1 it will only accept my old password although when I check 192.168.1.1 "wireless settings" the passwords are the new password not the old password I needed to open 192.168.1.1.

There are two different passwords here.

192.168.1.1 gets you into the browser graphical user interface (GUI). You need the password that you set up for admin.

You need the wifi passwords to access the SSIDs.

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Greetings michaelkenward,

I was unaware there are multiple passwords, The one password allowing access to 192.168.1.1's (GUI) and if I understand you correctly there can be two more passwords within the GUI associated with the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Is it necessary that the 2.4 and 5GHz bands be same or different in relation to one another?

Thanks, Louf

Message 4 of 8

@Retired_Member wrote:

I was unaware there are multiple passwords, The one password allowing access to 192.168.1.1's (GUI) and if I understand you correctly there can be two more passwords within the GUI associated with the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

Not so much "within the GUI" as things that you can use the GUI to change.

Is it necessary that the 2.4 and 5GHz bands be same or different in relation to one another?

Your choice. Unless you have a reason to have separate SSIDs, it is often easier, and Netgear recommends it, that you use the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Check the section in the manual Specify Basic WiFi Settings.

There may also be some helpful videos on what to do.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Different PWs can be set if you disable Smart Connect on the modem. If SC is enabled, then one Password for the wifi would be only used. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

I was unaware there are multiple passwords, The one password allowing access to 192.168.1.1's (GUI) and if I understand you correctly there can be two more passwords within the GUI associated with the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Is it necessary that the 2.4 and 5GHz bands be same or different in relation to one another?

Thanks, Louf

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

FURRYe38,

Smart Connect on the modem. If SC is enabled, then one Password for the wifi would be only used.

Thank you, Louf

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

michaelkenward,

I downloaded the manual for the CAX80 and will check it out.

Thank you, Louf

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7