Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connect to mesh wifi system

msearhart
Tutor

connect to mesh wifi system

Can i connect a mesh wifi system (possibly orbi or possibly another brand) to the C6300 modem/router?  Or do i need just a stand alone modem?

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: connect to mesh wifi system

You can connect it to a modem/router combo device. I have. 

options:

1. leave the modem/router in router mode. place the mesh system in AP (access point) mode. Just make sure to seperate out the wireless channels on the combo device from the mesh system so they don't interfere. I'd also name them different. 

2. You can disable the router portion of the combo device if you want to run the mesh system in router mode. downside? it disables the wireless/routing functions. Leaves it only a modem in function.  

Message 2 of 6
msearhart
Tutor

Thank you - i would think i'd want to go with #2 and disable the wifi on the c6300 as I wouldn't need it with the mesh routers? I decided to go with the Eero Pro instead of the Orbi as I liked the size of Eero vs the large Orbi hubs.  

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

its pretty simply to disable the router portion. 

log into the router through the browser, select ADVANCED > Administration > Router Mode.  Then select no under the router option. 

You can find the manual here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/C6300.aspx

Message 4 of 6
msearhart
Tutor

Ah!  Thank you!  I was thinking Advanced -> Setup -> and unchecking the enable SSID broadcast under the networks so i'm glad i asked and you pointed out that its under Router Mode!!  Thanks again!

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it worked for you

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements