Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

moden CM1200 communication port closed

Spaulino
Aspirant

moden CM1200 communication port closed

I am having problems with the communication port (44158) I connect directly to a netgear nighthawk CM1200 modem and it appears that the port is closed, I go to settings and no option appears to open ports since the modems are not supposed to have communication ports closed. Only when I restart the modem does the port open for a few seconds, 9 seconds to be exact.

What I can do?
Could it be my modem is faulty?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: moden CM1200 communication port closed

The modem only passes data traffic to and from the ISP services. There is no router built in or traffic managing ports here. All would be handled by your direct connected PC or a external wifi router. 

The ports in back are all WAN ports and thus can be assigned WAN IP addresses from ISPs that support this. Not all ISPs support this. 

Message 2 of 5
Spaulino
Aspirant

Well, i already knows that, so means that my moden has problems because im conecting a helium miner and goes green per 9 seconds and them port is close. Also tested witn my computer.
I think I'll have to return this and buy another brand
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The mode is not responsible for keeping the port open. Again, only passes traffic to and from. It's up to the device or router to keep the port open and alive. Not the modem. The modem is just the messenger. 

We can take a look at the cable connections page and event logs page here if you can post screen captured to see if there are any problems seen here for the CM modem. 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

One thing to keep in mind with the CM series (and any modem only series), is that they might have more than 1 ethernet port but the vast majority of ISP's only support 1 public ip address. 

so if you have something else connected to the modem other than your helium miner, you're going to have issues. 

Unless your isp is one of the RARE ones that support more than 1 public ip address, it needs to go modem----router----devices. 

With nothing but the router connected directly to the modem. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7