Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk c7000v2 dropping connection

Chaken
Tutor

nighthawk c7000v2 dropping connection

I have cox and they keep telling me to contact netgear to update the firmware or to pay for their premiere service...eyeroll

I am pretty sure it is the line but can someone take a look at my logs and help me confirm. I don't want to end up paying for their techs if I dont have to. 

Chaken_0-1653441748281.pngChaken_1-1653441802789.png

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: nighthawk c7000v2 dropping connection

your cable connection page isn't horrible. There is some errors and the power is a little out of spec but I've seen worse. 

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Your logs are indicating a line issue. Not a firmware issue. 

do you have a screensnip of the cable connections page? 

Also, fyi, the firmware is not user updateable. If someone that you think is from support is telling you it is, you're not talking to support. You're talking to a scam site. 

Message 2 of 10

@Chaken wrote:

I have cox and they keep telling me to contact netgear to update the firmware or to pay for their premiere service...eyeroll

Someone at Cox does not understand how the world works. As @plemans says, Netgear cannot upgrade your firmware, nor can you. It us up to Cox.

What is the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Su...

For Cox, you should have V1.02.12.

All that Netgear can do is to supply Cox with the firmware, then it can update your modem. Many ISPs just aren't interested in supporting their customers. They would rather pass the buck.

Message 3 of 10
Chaken
Tutor

mine is currently running firmware version V1.03.01 so more up to date that theirs anyway. I realize cox is just trying to upsell me on garbage i don't need but lots of people don't, so I appreciate it anyway. 

Chaken_0-1653518099561.png

Chaken_1-1653518145279.png

Chaken_2-1653518172459.png

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

When you first log into the router, click on the internet icon. it'll take you to the cable connections page. It shows upstream/downstream info and helps us check the line. 

Message 5 of 10
Chaken
Tutor

Chaken_0-1653583721021.png

Message 6 of 10
Chaken
Tutor

Chaken_0-1653583839998.pngChaken_1-1653583863258.png

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

your cable connection page isn't horrible. There is some errors and the power is a little out of spec but I've seen worse. 

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

Message 8 of 10
aaronsnay
Tutor

Hello Everyone, I don't want to highjack this thread so if I need to put it in another post I will gladly do that. I figured since my issue is the same as the OP and I've already seen plenty of post regarding this issue I could put it here. I just recently had COX at my house and the ran a new line from the street to the house. Technician said the line from the house to the modem gave a good signal after the outside line was change. Modem worked well for 24 hrs and the problem began again last night. I tracked the logs and I'm getting DoS attacks not every time the internet cuts out but some times. Modem is 1 year 8 months old and ran perfectly fine for 1 year and 6 months. This issue started about two months ago and has gotten progressively worse with in the last few weeks. I currently have an appointment with another COX technician scheduled tomorrow. Thank you in advance for any help you all are able to offer. 

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

@aaronsnay do start your own thread and include the cable connections page and event log info

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7