Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ready share not showing over google wifi

Kahdava
Aspirant

ready share not showing over google wifi

I recently purchased a netgear nighthawk model # CAX30, and first off, let me say i am very pleased with the device itself.

My issue showed up after connecting my google wifi mesh network and attempting to use the ready share function.

I used an old pc as a media server for years, but decided it was time to give ready share a try!

I dug out my storage drive, instaled it in a usb dock and connected it to the usb port on the back of the netgear router, then used the router settings page to set up the ready share drive.

once i set it up i attempted some simple tests, in order to understand my test results i must take a moment and explain my pc/router/mesh configuration

I have two pc's close enough to the netgear nighthawk that i can be hard wired directly to the router, i also have the google wifi point hard wired to the router per google wifi instructions.

I then have two other pc's connected at far ends of my home using the google wifi mesh network.

When attempting to view ready share drive from hardwired devices the ready share device is visible as it should be, however when attempting to view ready share drive from the wirelessly connected google wifi points, ready share will not show up at all.

i have attempted to "map network drive" using the windows wizard by entering the address manually, as well as attempting to use browse in order to find it on the network.

Is this a common issue, and if so how would i resolve this? 

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ready share not showing over google wifi

What happens if you turn OFF the Google WIFI system? 

Probably due to the fact that you have two router systems online at the same time.

Either need to put the CAX30 in bridge mode and use the Google system as your main router and wifi, or use the CAX30 in router mode with it's wifi disabled and use the Google system in AP mode. 

Message 2 of 5
Kahdava
Aspirant

If i was to turn off the google wifi, i would lose connectivity to the pc's connected wirelessly at the far ends of my home.

Which brings into play a secondary issue that i was avoiding...

Some of my devices can not see the Nighhawk's AX signal.

It appears that some of my devices have older wifi drivers that JUST went out of service about 13 days ago.. namely the intel 7265 (rev c) located in two different alienware alpha r1's. I use these little old gaming pc hybrids as "tv boxes". they have been wiped clean, windows 10 installs, and upgraded ssd's and ram, everything about them has been kept up to date with current tech, accept the wifi cards, because as far as i know, i am stuck with what i have. the 7265 was the better option card over the 3xxx series that was also available for these machines. 

I also have two MSI laptops that can not see the Netgear's AX signal, I am assuming for a similar reason, old wifi cards.

I have found a work around when using AC routers in tandem, at first i used our old asus router in repeater mode, which got the job done, but had latency issues when using google remote desktop (this is how i control the "tv boxes").

After connecting the google wifi mesh system, all latency issues are resolved, however i now have the media server issue that was not present when using the asus in repeater mode.

Bridge mode sounds like the perfect solution was staring me in the face, i will be attempting to get bridge mode set up when i return home. I use xfinity, and from what i understand, setting up bridge mode must be done through their portal.

thank you.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes they would however this was a temporary test to see if this resolves the one issue.

Ya, you need to get to a one router system as you have two online currently and maybe causing some problems. 

Message 4 of 5
Kahdava
Aspirant

I would like to follow up with what i have done and where i still am.

i have contacted google, xfinity and netgear, all in regards to this issue, and i have heard conflicting instructions from each, currently the problem still persists.

Google: informed me to place my modem/router into bridge mode to fix the issue, and instructed me to call my isp to do so, they also sent me detailed instructions that involved calling my isp

Xfinity: xfinity understood my issue, understood i was working with a netgear cax30, as well as google wifi, and ready share, they informed me to download the xfinity app, and assured me the change to bridge mode could be made there.

xfinity call#2: different rep informed that there is no way to do what i was told by rep #1 with my netgear router, and that i need to contact netgear.

Net gear: informed me that the CAX30 does NOT offer bridge mode, and that the only option i have is to turn off router mode and use it as modem only, however, even this is not allowing ready share drives to be visible over the google wifi network.

Is there any way to accomplish my task with my current equipment? 

I want to have a network drive plugged into the ready share port, i want that drive visible and accessible throughout my entire home, i want to also utilize the google wifi mesh network to extend conductivity to the furthest corners of my home.

Is what i am trying to do even possible?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7