Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: slow wireless speeds on c7000

shodon
Aspirant

slow wireless speeds on c7000

At home I have 800 MBPS plan through xfinity. A hardwired laptop connection to my c7000 gets me 789 mbps.(I'm Happy)  At home with the C7000, I am using 5 megahertz signal but cannot get more that 130 MBPS on any device including my laptop. 

I am a neophyte and non techy. Is this problem something I should refer to a computer service (Geek Squad) or is this something the community can help me with?                                   

Message 1 of 20
Kitsap
Master

@shodon wrote:

At home I have 800 MBPS plan through xfinity. A hardwired laptop connection to my c7000 gets me 789 mbps.(I'm Happy)  At home with the C7000, I am using 5 megahertz signal but cannot get more that 130 MBPS on any device including my laptop. 

I am a neophyte and non techy. Is this problem something I should refer to a computer service (Geek Squad) or is this something the community can help me with?                                   

Usually slow Wi-Fi throughput, and your 130 Mbps is slow, can be attributed to issues with the connecting devices.

How are you testing throughput?  Recommend the Ookla stand alone application available in your play store.

Start with your laptop, running Windows or Mac?  If Windows, what version, 10 or 11?

Do you have a lot of neighbors that are also broadcasting Wi-Fi signals?

Have you successfully logged in to the user interface on your C7000?

Message 2 of 20
shodon
Aspirant

I am using windows 10. At work my laptop wirelessly connects at over 500mbps., so I dont think it is my laptop. I do see at least 5 wireless networks within range to connect so I assume a fair amount of traffic. I was able to connect wirelessly to my router but now am not able to. I can connect to the router via a wired connection. Thanks for your help.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Message 3 of 20
Kitsap
Master

@shodon wrote:

I am using windows 10. At work my laptop wirelessly connects at over 500mbps., so I dont think it is my laptop. I do see at least 5 wireless networks within range to connect so I assume a fair amount of traffic. I was able to connect wirelessly to my router but now am not able to. I can connect to the router via a wired connection. Thanks for your help.

Good information.  When you say you are now not able to connect to the Wi-Fi at home, do you mean you no longer see your SSID or you can see your SSID and not establish a connection?

How long has it been since you did a full pull the power cord restart of your C7000?

When connected to your Wi-Fi at home, on your laptop go to Windows Settings -> Network & Internet and check your network properties.  Make sure it is classified as Private and not Public.

Repeat question: Are you able to log in to the user interface on the C7000?

Repeat question:  Are you using the Ookla throughput application for testing?

Message 4 of 20
shodon
Aspirant

I can wirelessly connect to the c7000 , but I cannot connect to the user interface wirelessly. I can connect to the user interface with a wired connection. Sorry for the confusion.
Message 5 of 20
Kitsap
Master

@shodon wrote:
I can wirelessly connect to the c7000 , but I cannot connect to the user interface wirelessly. I can connect to the user interface with a wired connection. Sorry for the confusion.

Some progress.

Repeat question:  How long has it been since you did a full pull the power cord restart of your C7000?

Repeat question:  When connected to your Wi-Fi at home, on your laptop go to Windows Settings -> Network & Internet and check your network properties. Make sure it is classified as Private and not Public.

Repeat question: Are you using the Ookla throughput application for testing?

In your C7000 configuration:

Smart Connect should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup

Dynamic QOS should be disabled?  Under Quality of Service.

Traffic Meter should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Traffic Meter

Access Control should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Security -> Access Control

Is IPv6 enabled?  If your ISP supports it, it should be enabled.  Under Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6

What channel are you using for the 5 GHz band?  Try channel 48.

Message 6 of 20
shodon
Aspirant

Sorry for the delayed Response, Not at home to work on It.

In Summary:

I am using Ookla Speed test.

Traffic Meter is Disabled

Access Control is Disabled

5 Ghx on Channel 48

IPv6 is enabled

I could not find Smart  Connect or QOS Settings on my C7000 v2

Still getting 800mbps wired and 

Still getting 140mbps on the wireless connection.  Any other suggestions. I appreciate all the help!

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model # of the wifi adapter in this laptop? 

You'll not see anything near 700Mpbs on 5Ghz AC over wireless. Wireless does not handle or perform the same as wired ethernet.

Message 8 of 20
shodon
Aspirant

In review of the previous post comments . My Laptop, at work, will connect at wireless speeds in excess of 500mbps. The c7000v2 is supposed to broadcast at wireless speeds of 1200 mbps. I have a 800mbps service from Xfinity. Not sure what you are getting at.

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model # of the wifi adapter in this laptop? 

If you factory reset the modem and setup from scratch, leaving wifi settings at default, what does the wifi adapter in this laptop connect at? Be sure any Smart Connect, Beamforming and MIMO features are enabled as well. 

Don't enable any Access Controls, Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter. 

You can try setting the channels to say 48 or 149 on 5Ghz and see. 

Be sure the wifi adapter drivers are up to date on this laptop as well. 

Message 10 of 20
shodon
Aspirant

Not sure, but if it connects at 500mpbs at work why wouldn't connect at that speed at home. Are not 5ghz wireless signals the same?

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Need to know the brand and model of the adapter in the laptop so we can look at it's specs. 

Message 12 of 20
Kitsap
Master

@shodon wrote:

Not sure, but if it connects at 500mpbs at work why wouldn't connect at that speed at home. Are not 5ghz wireless signals the same?

No, they are not the same.  Windows keeps a separate set of configuration settings for each network you connect.

Do not fall victim to the marketing hype terminology.  Connection speeds are not the same as real life throughput.  The details on your laptop Wi-Fi hardware are critical to answering the question.  The Wi-Fi 5 GHz capability from your C7000v2 is not the same as the current batch of Wi-Fi transmitters or what you may be connecting to at work.

Did you confirm the home network you connect to has been classified by Windows as a Private network and not a Public network?

Your C7000v2 may not have smart connect, look under Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup.

For QoS, look under Advanced -> Setup -> QoS Setup.

Message 13 of 20
shodon
Aspirant

Intel dual band AC8265 is the adapter in the laptop. My laptop also connects wirelessly at over 450mbps at my friends house that has Xfinity 800mbps but uses the leased router from xfinity.  

Message 14 of 20
shodon
Aspirant

It is confirmed as a private network

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Looking at the specs for that adapter, its only a 2x2 adapter and max rate should be 867Mbps

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/94150/intel-dual-band-wirelessac-8265/specifica...

The C7000 is a 3x3 and supports 1300Mpbs from what it's spec sheet shows:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/CableModems/C7000.pdf

Just curious, have you tested other wifi devices connected to the C7000 5Ghz radio as well to compare results?

Message 16 of 20
Kitsap
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Looking at the specs for that adapter, its only a 2x2 adapter and max rate should be 867Mbps

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/94150/intel-dual-band-wirelessac-8265/specifica...

The C7000 is a 3x3 and supports 1300Mpbs from what it's spec sheet shows:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/CableModems/C7000.pdf

Just curious, have you tested other wifi devices connected to the C7000 5Ghz radio as well to compare results?

Keep in mind the specification sheet connection rates are significantly higher than the real world throughput rate you will see in Ookla.

You need to educate yourself by reviewing the first few sections of the Duck Ware paper here:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Your friends Xfinity leased gateway is most likely a XB6 or XB7 device.  From a technology standpoint it is at least two or three generations newer than your C7000v2.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I know. Well aware of real world bandwidth speeds vs connection rates. 

Connection rates should be attainable at least. Bandwidth speeds are another animal.

However there are many other variables that may be causing not seeing these rates with his HW. I see that adapter is 2016ish era as well. Driver state, chipset compatibility modem config and such all play into this or impede proper connection rate handling. Would need to check and compare with other wifi devices to see if similar is seen or not. The C7000 is based of same R7000 HW I believe, just with a modem added. 

Message 18 of 20
shodon
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I have tested other devices and they all run about 120MBPS. My laptop is the newest and most technically advanced device I have, so I was hoping to get the best performance with the laptop. I am very disappointed in Netgear if they advertise 1200 mbps and its really not available. That pretty much sucks and is deceptive advertising in my mind. 

Can I buy the more advanced technology, if so, what would you recommend?

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Well possible that the modem could be faulty or FW has causes problems with wifi so I would not call it deceptive advertising. Technically that is correct and any supporting device should see the higher rates, however again, there could be a problem on the modem that's not working right or is going bad. 

if the modem portion is working, why not set modem only mode on this unit and install something more up to date. You could install any brand of wifi external router to the modem and go from there. Could install a stand alone wifi router or even a MESH system. 

Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7