Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1/3 speed

vardicus
Aspirant

1/3 speed

Recently purchased a AC1200/R6120, My current ISP is xfinity and the package i have is for 300mbps. Ive called a tech out to confirm that I am in fact getting that speed on my moden and it is confirmed 300+Mbps. When I connect this router im capped at 100mbps. Ive gone into the router settings to verify that the 2.4g is at "up to 300 Mbps" and the 5G is at "Up to 867 Mbps". Even on 5G i get sub 90mbps. Firmware has been updated. Im using a CM500 Modem aswell. Ive done a few speed tests on my desktop comupter that is able to handle 1g and no dice on going above 100mb. My question is there some kind of setting or check box that im just missing to enable 100mb+? Any help is immensly appreciated 

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
vardicus
Aspirant

Re: 1/3 speed

Appreciate the response, as it turns out the WAN port is rated for 100Mbps, to my understadning that means this (AC1200) will only ever be able to push 100Mbps since thats all its getting from the WAN port? But since its advertised as "wifispeeds up to 300 + 900Mbps" that is referring to it being an access point and being able to resending wifi at those speeds? 

View solution in original post

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If the modem is getting to spec speeds directly with a wired PC, and your not with your router, then you'll need to look and review into what your router is doing. 

Message 2 of 5
vardicus
Aspirant

Appreciate the response, as it turns out the WAN port is rated for 100Mbps, to my understadning that means this (AC1200) will only ever be able to push 100Mbps since thats all its getting from the WAN port? But since its advertised as "wifispeeds up to 300 + 900Mbps" that is referring to it being an access point and being able to resending wifi at those speeds? 

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, you not see anything over 100Mbps with LAN and WAN ports on the router that are 100Mbps:

• Five (5) 10/100Mbps (1 WAN and 4 LAN)
Fast Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/R6120.pdf

You'll need to get in to a R7### series router or higher that support 1000Mpbs on the WAN and LAN ports. 

Message 4 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] to my understadning that means this (AC1200) will only ever be
> able to push 100Mbps since thats all its getting from the WAN port?

The speed of the WAN/Internet port limits the speed with which you
can get data from the Internet.

> [...] But since its advertised as "wifispeeds up to 300 + 900Mbps"
> that is referring to it being an access point and being able to
> resending wifi at those speeds?

In principle, you might get speeds higher than 100Mb/s between two
wireless client devices on your LAN.

> You'll need to get in to a R7### series router or higher [...]

Not really.  R6xxxx models higher than R6120 seem to offer gigabit
Ethernet, too.  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in the candidate
model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual and/or
Product Data sheet.  Read.  Look for Technical Specifications.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7