Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 Netgear modems with the same MAC address

thaddeus
Aspirant

2 Netgear modems with the same MAC address

Anyone ever encounter this?  My cable modem shares an identical MAC address with another cable modem.  My internet stopped working so I called xfinity and this is what I found out after many hours on the phone with tech support.

My modem was registed with my xfinity account after I purchased it new on July 2nd.  No problems. I live in Colorado.

November 10 someone in Florida activates their Netgear cable modem with the same MAC address as mine, different model.  Also with xfinity.

Because I have a second modem registered with xfinity, an old one that I replaced with the CM500 on July 2nd, the MAC address for my modem was booted out of my account and placed into the Florida account with their modem.

Xfinity is sending me one of their rentals to use to remody the issue, no charge.  I am told that the MAC address can not be removed from the Florida account without their permission and the easiest solution is to give me another modem.  It was removed from mine automatically because I had two modems in their system. 

Xfinity recomends I get in touch with Netgear to have them do something for me if possible.

How can this happen for two modems to have the same MAC address?  My suspiscion is that this Florida account is shady but I do not know how or why.  Is that possible?  Can Netgear do anything to provide my modem with a new unique MAC address or can I?

I am using Windows 10 if that is relevant.

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 5
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

pls log support ticket online and share ticket#

my.netgear.com 

Message 2 of 5
thaddeus
Aspirant

Xfinity did in fact put a $13 monthly fee on my account for the replacement modem. I returned it and managed to get them to credit my account what I paid for my netgear modem. Because I bought my modem more than 90 days ago I can not get in touch with netgear without paying for the privilege of letting them know they put out two modem with the same MAC address.

Guess im just $#:O!. Unless someone from netgear wants to explain how this happened and send me a replacement.
Message 3 of 5
thaddeus
Aspirant

Here is something totally unexpected! I contacted technical support and netgear is sending me a replacement modem using next day shipping with a return shipping label included! No charge to me. They acknowledge that my serial number had an issue with a duplicate MAC address and are sending me a replacement quickly and without charge. Total time on the phone, 39 minutes.

Netgear support is awesome!
Message 4 of 5
thaddeus
Aspirant

That case number is 40708117. The issue is resolved. I am now totally sold on netgear service and products. If anyone ever talks trash about them I will kick their butts!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7