Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

24 downstream channel bonding Netgear C7000 / Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router combo

gagandeep
Guide

24 downstream channel bonding Netgear C7000 / Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router combo

Hi, I got the new Netgear C7000 (Nighthawk AC1900 cable modem - wifi router combo) as Netgear claimed it can bond with 24 downstream channels, hence better surfing experience. I had old C6300 that has 16x4 bonding, this one has 24x8. However, after I activated new modem, it still bonds 16 down and 4 up, instead of 24 down and 8 up. I called TWC, they say its Netgear issue. Called Netgear, they did not even understand initially what channel bonding is, the very point on which they are selling this modem and were of no help - they asked me to talk to TWC again!! I called TWC again this morning, they said this modem should bond with 24 channels - Note I am on the100 Mbps plan  (am already getting 118 Mbps down, thanks TWC, am very satisfied customer). I personally think, a 16x4 modem can be fine with over 500mbps package as well, if TWC introduces it in future.
I did factory reset on the C7000 router, still it was bonding 16x4.This is such a sham.
Can someone help in advising how to allow 24 channel bonding for downstream channels.

Message 1 of 2
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: 24 downstream channel bonding Netgear C7000 / Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router combo

hi Gagandeep,

Yes, C7000 does support 24 Channel bonding but it is limited ISP's network. so if the TWC RF plant and their CMTS (headend) does not have not enabled 24 channels, C7000 will not be able to bond it.

I have not heard of TWC's deployment plans of 24 Channel bonding. I believe this may be their future plan.

On the Comcast side, some areas have deployed 24channels. See an example in forum

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30130445-Signals-24-Downstream-Channels-Santa-Maria-CA?search=santa...

16channels should work for services upto 300 mbps.

In future if TWC deploys 500 Mbps service, I am certain 24 channels will be needed as 16 channels wont be able handle the 500 Mbps in live field (500 Mbps can be acheived in the lab though).

Please PM me if you need more info on this topic and I would be happy to explain it to you.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7