Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

30CAXs router modem, trying to change password in Advanced>administration

jobrux
Aspirant

30CAXs router modem, trying to change password in Advanced>administration

Not sure how to find firmware, Model is router modem 30CAXs.  ISP is Xfinity.  I use iphones/windows 10 computers to access.

Problem as follows:

I would like to change the router password (not the WiFi password).  I am able to log onto the router, and go to the advanced settings page and the administrative section of that page and enter the old password, then in two places, I enter the new password.  

A little window pops up when I click on apply, and the window says: "192.168.1.1 says Weak password. Please input a strong password."

I get this message after trying various passwords that are 30 characters long and include numbers, upper/lower case letters, and special characters such as ?!@, etc.  Also, these passwords that I've tried are considered strong by my password manager.

I'd prefer not to do a factory reset if I can avoid that.  But any suggestions?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
jobrux
Aspirant

Re: 30CAXs router modem, trying to change password in Advanced>administration

One last note. I went ahead and tested the idea that using <CNTRL>V to do the pasting (instead of mouse right click, then 'paste' option from drop down window) was the reason that my new password was accepted.  And I verified that was the reason.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you put in a 10 character PW with Upper, Lower and just numbers with out any special characters? Try NGcax30123

What browser are you using? 

What FW is loaded? 

You can find FW for the CAX30 here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Or here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Message 2 of 6
jobrux
Aspirant

Dear Furrye38, thanks for taking the time to respond.  I tried several more things: clearing cache on Chrome (did not work), i tried using Edge browser (did not work).  Then I started looking at the logs and trying to make sense out of them.  Then I decided to try Edge again and for completely unexplained and mysterious reasons, it accepted my new password.  This was not the password you suggested and it contained capital/lower use letters, numbers and special characters.  So, here I am, left wondering: was it the salt I threw over my left shoulder? was it the special incantation involving candles and sounds (you get the idea...).

I wish I had a better understanding of these things.  But I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.  Again, thank you for your help.

Jobrux

Message 3 of 6
jobrux
Aspirant

I just remembered something.  Normally, when I paste stuff, I right click on my mouse, and a little window pops up with 'paste' as an option, and i click on 'paste' to paste something.  I think possibly, my last attempt I used the old windows standby: <CNTRL>V instead of pasting with the mouse.  Maybe that was the ticket.  I'm not going to mess with this for awhile.  But it's at least up here in the forum now.

Message 4 of 6
jobrux
Aspirant

One last note. I went ahead and tested the idea that using <CNTRL>V to do the pasting (instead of mouse right click, then 'paste' option from drop down window) was the reason that my new password was accepted.  And I verified that was the reason.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7