Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4G

Aspirant

4G

I live in Appalachia and my internet provider is the local cable company.  Every time there is an issue, power outage, bad weather etc. my router shuts down and when it returns it goes to 5G.  It takes turning the router on and off a dozen times before my devices will find the 4G and connect.  It seems to default to 5G.   This would be ok if all my smart devices and cameras worked on 5G but they don't.  I purchased a battery backup but that didn't resolve the issue.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I spend several hours monthly resetting everything and it is getting frustrating.  Thanks

Model: C6300BD-1CXNAS|Docsis 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: 4G

"when it returns it goes to 5g"

Not sure what you mean by this. The C6300 is a dual band router. 

Its has 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time. 

If a device doesn't have 5ghz, it won't connect to it and will connect to the 2.4ghz. 

I've got a mix of 2.4ghz/5ghz cameras/IoT devices. 

And I'm not sure if you're confusing the 2.4ghz with 4g. 

Maybe a better explaination of what you're actually having happen might help because if a device can see 5ghz, it can connect to it/use it. 

Message 2 of 4
Aspirant

You are correct. It is 2.4 not 4.   On a scale of 1-10, my tech knowledge is about 2.  What happens when there is an interruption in my internet service my phone searches for the internet connection.  It immediately finds the 5G network and connects.  None of my smart devices or cameras will function.  I then go through the process of turning the router on and off until my phones finds the 2.4.  It usually takes between 6 and 10 times.  Frustrating.  My internet provider provided me a number for Netgear.   They said they can reconfigure my router to 2.4 only, I just need to buy the extended warranty.  

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

when it connects to 5ghz, does it work? (the phone)

Again, its simutaneous daul band. meaning both bands should be broadcasting and working and the devices should auto-connect. you shouldn't need to power on/off 5-10x to get it working. 

Do wired devices have issues? 

If you're on a backup power supply, it makes me a bit supicious of your cable connection strength. 

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the event logs? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7