Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5 ghz SSID to 2.4 ghz SSID

orchidhammer
Aspirant

5 ghz SSID to 2.4 ghz SSID

Model: C7000v2

Firmware: V1.03.03

Wifi connection to Brennan B2

Keep losing connection to B2 due to constantly changing IP address (assigned by router?).

It seems the wifi dongle for the B2 is configured for 2.4 ghz. Mine is connected to the 5 ghz SSID

How do I change the B2 from the 5 ghz SSID to the 2.4 ghz SSID?

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 5 ghz SSID to 2.4 ghz SSID

What is Brennan B2? A device? 

Is Smart Connect enabled on the modem? 

Message 2 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

Brennan B2 is a music storage/playback system. Allows you to load CDs and replay them. I can interact w/ it via wifi from Mac and iPhone. HOWEVER, IP address (provided by router?) keeps changing so URL needs to change as well to reflect new IP address.

Don't know where to check for Smart Connect.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this first, set a IP address reservation for this one device ON the modem:

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router?article=25722

Smart Connect maybe seen on the Basic/Wireless settings page on the modem.

Message 4 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

I've gone thru the process of reserving a specific address MULTIPLE times with no success. Sometimes the IP address changes as I toggle from Advanced>Setup>LAN Setup to Basic>Attached Devices.

Is there a way to change a connection from the 5 ghz SSID to the 2.4 ghz SSID? If this doesn't work, I'm thinking my 6-year old C7000v2 is failing.

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So when setting the IP address reservation, when your on this screen and you have an IP address input, after you select apply. I would turn OFF the device. Then reboot the modem. After the modem is rebooted, re-confirm that the IP address reservation is still there for this device under LAN setup. If so, then turn ON the device and check the device. 

What is the name given for this IP address reservation. Make sure there is no special characters or spaces in the device name. 

It's up to the device to pick and choose which frequency it connects too IF Smart Connect is enabled. If Smart connect is NOT enabled, then you can have separate SSID names that you can point the device too and it should connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID only. 

Message 6 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

Sequence of rebooting the B2 and router could be the problem. I'll give that a try.

Addresses are all 192.168.0.#

There is no Smart Connect option available in the Netgear Genie.

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Using the Genie app or the modems web page? Check the modems web page for this. 

I would change the IP address pool size to 192.168.0.100 to .200. 

Message 8 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

Netgear Genie I use is https://192.168.0.1

I tried using higher numbers when reserving the address with no luck  

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting the small IP address pool range size then setup a reservation as suggested. 

Message 10 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

I'm a little leery to change the range as several other devices are connected using smaller number ...0.11, ...0.23, ...0.18, etc.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

They will get new IPs when the modem reboots. 

Message 12 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

W/ B2 off, I reserved an IP address within specified range in Netgear Genie via Advanced>Setup>LAN Setup and hit Apply.

I rebooted the router.

Turned B2 on.

AND THE IP ADDRESSES CHANGED

Attached Devices: 192.168.0.14 (don't know where this came from)

Advanced: 192.168.0.57  (this is the address I reserved)

B2 Display: 192.168.0.20 (number assigned by router)

Message 13 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

Is it possible to completely delete any mention of my peripheral from the Netgear Genie.

I'd like to reconnect from scratch and see what happens.

Message 14 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

SHAZAM!!!!

I think I got it. I blocked the original B2 in the Attached Devices List. Reserved the address assigned by the router, and attached the B2 to a "Hidden Network" manually entering the 2.4Ghz SSID. I rebooted everything and the IP addresses remained the same.

Furry, I really appreciate the help!

I'd still like to know if I can delete the blocked items in the Attached Device list.

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

IF there connected to the modem and get a IP address thru the modem I presume they will always appear there until they are no longer connected. 

Message 16 of 17
orchidhammer
Aspirant

How do I disconnect them and or delete them?  I've blocked several that have been replaced/thrown out but they still show up.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7