Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

7 Routers on our network acting as Access points but when I add the 8th router the network crashes

dawnhamilton
Aspirant

7 Routers on our network acting as Access points but when I add the 8th router the network crashes

I have a comcast modem giiving out DHCP, the 7 routers are set up as access points not giving out DHCP obviously and it works fine, When I add the 8th router as an access point the network fails, sometimes in seconds and sometimes breaks down over a few days.  Is there a maxx number of netgear routers that can be on a network and then it crashes if you add more than 7?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 7 Routers on our network acting as Access points but when I add the 8th router the network cr...

Hello dawnhamilton, 

Welcome to the community! 

What are the model number(s) of the routers that your are using? Apparently they are designed as routers so I would think that they are quite different in handling the traffic. A controller can handle up to 16 APs. This could be something else, how much IP can your modem/router give and how many users do you have simultaneously? 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
dawnhamilton
Aspirant

Re: 7 Routers on our network acting as Access points but when I add the 8th router the network cr...

1 R6250 and the rest are all netgear 750's

We have about 120 online users at any one time.  Its a regular comcast modem but Im going to upgrade to a surfboard 6121 in a month or so

Message 3 of 5
frankeezipper
Aspirant

Re: 7 Routers on our network acting as Access points but when I add the 8th router the network crash

Can you pleasse tell me if this is a commercial account that you are asking about. If you are using this in home how many square feet are you trying to cover?

Message 4 of 5
frankeezipper
Aspirant

You have to take out the modem/router out of router mode and turn it into bridge mode. Therefore one will support the other and the firewall will be a lot more secure

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7