Reply

AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

andy792
Tutor

AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue. My wifi has been working correctly and last night, my router just disappeared from the network list. I thought my ISP was having problems so I didn't think too much about it. But even if my internet signal was out, wouldn't I still see the network on the list? I can't see it on any of my devices. My laptop which runs Windows 10, my iPhone, or my PS4. Firmware version is V2.01.18. I've called support twice and they told me to reset it and it seems to work, but I don't want to have to keep resetting it if it goes out. I would like a permanent solution. The model of my router is an AC1750 dual band router/modem.

Message 1 of 14

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

Which hardware are we talking about? AC1750 isn't a Netgear model number. It could be a router, modem or cable modem.

 


@andy792 wrote:

My wifi has been working correctly and last night, my router just disappeared from the network list.

 


Where is this list? Wifi sources?

 

If the Internet goes off, it will show in the lights on whatever device we are talking about here.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 14
andy792
Tutor

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

Sorry about that. It's a c6300, so it's a modem/router. Well the list is what shows up on your computer when you try to connect to the wifi. Like when you click on the wifi signal on the bottom right.  

Message 3 of 14

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

OK. It can't see the wifi.

 

I asked because there are various places where things appear on the network, as wired or wireless devices.

 

I assume that this bit refers to Windows.

 



Well the list is what shows up on your computer when you try to connect to the wifi. Like when you click on the wifi signal on the bottom right.  

 


If so, the problem could be with Windows rather than the wifi from the modem router.

 

When the network disappears, do you still see the wifi LEDs on the c6300?

 

If you haven't found it already, the manual is here:

 

>>>> C6300 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

 

It looks like yoiu have the latest firmware:

 

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router?

 

As you say, even if the Internet died, you should still see the wifi.

 

When you say support told you to reset the thing, is that ISP support or Netgear? Did that reset include factory reset?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 14
andy792
Tutor

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

Well I can't see the network on any of my devices, such as my iPhone or my PS4. It just disappears, so I don't think it's an issue with my Windows laptop. The lights are on when it disappears. Netgear support told me to press and hold the reset button on the router so I'm not sure if that is a factory reset.

Message 5 of 14

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

The reset "button" is a more drastic manoeuvre. It wipes out all your settings.

 

They call it a button, but it is more a hole that you have to prod with a sharp object. Page 9 on the manual. Is that what you used?

 

If you tried that, then you may need to try something else.  If the wifi lights stay on, then it should still be chugging out the wifi. You could try switching your wifi to a different channel, just in case you are getting interference from other local wifi.

 

Do both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands disappear?

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 14
andy792
Tutor

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

Yeah sorry I guess I was a little confusing. Yes they asked me press and hold the little reset button with a paper clip so I did that and then the network shows up. However, this only seems to be a temporary fix because now I'm having trouble with my wifi again. Both bands disappear. Netgear81 and Netfear81-5G.
Message 7 of 14

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

Sounds to me like you have a dud machine. If it is still under warranty I would pursue them for a replacement.

Does the wifi come back if you just reboot the device rather than a complete reset?

 

With some devices, Powerline repeaters for example, I would suspect something going into sleep mode. But I haven't come across that with modems and routers.

 

Have you tried getting onto the device's web interface, or the desktop genie? Then you could see if anything odd is going on.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 14
andy792
Tutor

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

Yeah it's definitely past the 90 days so I don't think they would help me out with a replacement. When you say reboot, do you mean pressing the button to turn it off or unplugging it or something else?

 

I've gone to the genie interface but nothing looks weird or off. It looks fine and it says all of my connections. 

 

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the broadcasting of the signal because the problem happened yesterday, but when I connected my ethernet cable to my laptop, the internet was working just fine.

Message 9 of 14

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list


@andy792 wrote:

Yeah it's definitely past the 90 days so I don't think they would help me out with a replacement.

 


90 days is the meagre "free" support period. The warranty is usually at least a year. It can be longer in some countries, where the consumer law is better – in Europe for example.

 


@andy792 wrote:

When you say reboot, do you mean pressing the button to turn it off or unplugging it or something else?

 

Anything that tells the thing to turn off and on is the idea. This is less drastic than a complete reset, which wipes out all your old settings. It is just easier if you need to restart the thing.

 

There have been various reports of wifi turning itself on and off, sometimes down to new firmware. (Not something that you have control over.) Sometimes the user, or their cat, has unknowingly pressed the buttons that turn the wifi off! This can have subtle interactions with the software control. If the switch is off, then you can't turn the wifi on from the web interface. (Or it may be the other way round, the switch won't work if it is off through the software controls)

 

Did you ever try a different wifi band? Other users have found that simply turning off the "auto" setting can eliminate wifi issues.

 

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 14
andy792
Tutor

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

I may try calling to see what their policy is and to see if it's still covered. 

 

I'm not too sure by what you mean by turning off the auto settings


@michaelkenward wrote:

@andy792 wrote:

Yeah it's definitely past the 90 days so I don't think they would help me out with a replacement.

 


90 days is the meagre "free" support period. The warranty is usually at least a year. It can be longer in some countries, where the consumer law is better – in Europe for example.

 


@andy792 wrote:

When you say reboot, do you mean pressing the button to turn it off or unplugging it or something else?

 

Anything that tells the thing to turn off and on is the idea. This is less drastic than a complete reset, which wipes out all your old settings. It is just easier if you need to restart the thing.

 

There have been various reports of wifi turning itself on and off, sometimes down to new firmware. (Not something that you have control over.) Sometimes the user, or their cat, has unknowingly pressed the buttons that turn the wifi off! This can have subtle interactions with the software control. If the switch is off, then you can't turn the wifi on from the web interface. (Or it may be the other way round, the switch won't work if it is off through the software controls)

 

Did you ever try a different wifi band? Other users have found that simply turning off the "auto" setting can eliminate wifi issues.

 

 

 


 

Message 11 of 14

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list


@andy792 wrote:

 

I'm not too sure by what you mean by turning off the auto settings

 


See page 70 in the manual.

 



The default channel is Auto. When Auto is specified, the modem router finds the best operating channel available.

 


Netgear's idea of the "best operating channel available" may be wrong.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 12 of 14
andy792
Tutor

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

If it messes up again, I might try this out. 

Message 13 of 14
andy792
Tutor

Re: AC1750 router/modem won't show up on network list

Well the internet went down again. I tried changing the channels from auto for the 2.4 Ghz and nothing worked. It turns out that my product is still within the one year warranty so I think I'm just going to replace it. Might as well use this warranty. Thanks for your help michaelkenward.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5464 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E