Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC3200 -- C7800v2 Can't Update Firmware - Nighthawk App Loop

Retired_Member
Not applicable

AC3200 -- C7800v2 Can't Update Firmware - Nighthawk App Loop

I got this router  in beginning of 2020. I was using the Netgear GENIE app and then I realised I couldn't log in  ...  Then it brings me to my issue. 

1.  I download the app (not the issue)  it detects my router. All good.   Keep in mind, I have used this router for going on 3 years now
(yes I will update it - please don't suggest this as a solution  🙂  )   

*** The app tells me that my firmware is out of date,  Ok no problem. I click the link  to go to Routerlogin.com / .net and nothing.  I am met with the same issues as many others.  I  then tried on a different browser.  

I am already connected and up and running  - I am just trying to get the Nighthawk app to work. Not sure what the issue is.  

Without doing a factory reset - there shoudl be a solition here, yes?   I log in to my router almost weekly (from the broswser using the IP addy.) but  the App doesn't seem to want to work?    

Thanks

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: AC3200 -- C7800v2 Can't Update Firmware - Nighthawk App Loop

Only 2 says around it. 

1. upgrade to the CAX line. They have enough processing power that netgear paritioned the firmware for the modem seperate from the router. Allowing you to upgrade the router side seperate. the modem is still locked by the isp. 

2. Buy the modem seperate from the router. Then you control it as well as you then control whether you want to upgrade the modem or router seperate. Plus if one goes bad, you're only replacing that and not a whole combo device. 

Sadly thats it. Otherwise its at the mercy of the isp. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

There's an issue with the app with  modem/router combo devices. 

The problem comes in if your isp doesn't update the firmware, it detects its out of date and you can't get past that in the app. 

the larger problem is that the only thing that can update the firmware is the ISP on the modem/router combo devices. And the ISP's rarely do it because it costs them $ to certify a new firmware. So they choose not to. 

options? 

Just use the web browser to manage the router like you're doing. 

Its something that needs to be fixed in the app but I haven't seen any indication that netgears working on it as the problem's been around for for quite a while. 

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Excellent explanation - thank you!  

I wish we could be in charge of updating our firmwares. It bothers me that we can't and at worst - Spectrum (the king of all cheapskates) is in charge of it.    Anyone know a way to get around that and update the firmware without needing to ask Spectrum  to do it ?  

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

ISPs are responsible for any FW handling on cable modems. There is no user updatable FW for C and CM series modems. 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Only 2 says around it. 

1. upgrade to the CAX line. They have enough processing power that netgear paritioned the firmware for the modem seperate from the router. Allowing you to upgrade the router side seperate. the modem is still locked by the isp. 

2. Buy the modem seperate from the router. Then you control it as well as you then control whether you want to upgrade the modem or router seperate. Plus if one goes bad, you're only replacing that and not a whole combo device. 

Sadly thats it. Otherwise its at the mercy of the isp. 

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

THIS was a great answer thanks!!   Someone else just stated that ISP's are in control  - which if they read my post they would have seen that I already know that ... *sigh*  Your answer was great thank you ! 

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7