Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding permitted devices on CM700

Dcat99
Follower

Adding permitted devices on CM700

I am looking to connect my modem to my HP printer in order to scan documents into my computer. My modem is connected via router to my computer already. My printer requires being a permitted device on my modem which has MAC address filtering enabled. How do I either turn off filtering, or, add my printer to a permitted device list via the MAC address?

Model: CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Adding permitted devices on CM700

you don't connect the printer to a the modem.

What printer do you have? Did you check with them? it sounds like you have a windows/printer issue and not a router issue. 

Message 2 of 3
Hoo-Doo
Tutor

Re: Adding permitted devices on CM700

Hey Dcat,

First, the only thing you ever want to be connecting to your modem is a properly configured router, and certainly NOT a printer. If someone told you that you need to add your printer's MAC address to your modem, they were likely inept or wrongly assuming that your modem was a modem/router combination. It is not. Your CM700 is just a cable modem, a "dumb" device with no user-configurable features. Its only job is to provide you with "dirty" access to the Internet, (Coax-in from your ISP, and Ethernet-out to your router). It's your router's job to do everything else, including the MAC address filtering feature that you are asking about. If you care to include your router's make/model in a follow-up post, I'm sure we can guide you to the proper tab. Also, I would strongly recommend against disabling MAC filtering. It's a subtle, but non-trivial security layer in your overall defenses against unauthorized access to your local network.

On a lighter note, thanks for the chuckle!  I nearly spewed coffee all over my screen when I read your post. Not at your question of course, but rather at the visual it conjured of the 40 million+ pages your printer would soon begin printing if you did manage to connect it directly to your modem! 🙂

Cheers!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7